McDonald’s [Lexington MA]

it’s not a fake egg — it’s just scrambled, not fried.

I find McDonald’s to be a great resource.

When we are travelling in our RV and need a gas/bathroom/stretch break it is a dependable outlet. We know the limitations but also don’t need to search around for a local one-off when we are trying to get from point A to point B.

We do plenty of destination dining but on a long travel day a burger and fries that is at the lower end benchmark is a very good option.

2 Likes

Interesting excerpt online.

"McDonald’s actually serves four different kinds: Round, folded, scrambled, and sausage burrito eggs. They are not all created equal, according to former McDonald’s corporate chef Mike Haracz.

Round eggs are “the best egg, quality-wise,” Haracz said in a TikTok. These are factory farm-fresh eggs that get cracked and cooked to order in a round ring mold (hence the name). The other fresh(ish) option is the scrambled egg. When you order a Big Breakfast, McDonald’s cooks open up a package of liquid eggs and fry them on the grill. Both the round and scrambled eggs are cooked with real butter.

The eggs that come in your breakfast burrito are not as fresh. Per McDonald’s: “Our suppliers pre-cook liquid eggs with ingredients that include sausage, tomatoes, green chilies, onions and seasonings before flash freezing them to help maintain their taste.” Not great, but not the worst. That designation is reserved for the folded eggs, which also come frozen. They get heated up and put on biscuit and bagel sandwiches. A portion of folded eggs “has the texture of, like, a stack of Post-It Notes,” according to Haracz."

7 Likes

That guy must be really popular at Golden Arches HQ.

6 Likes

Thanks for the clarification, uni. When I was referring to the lower quality eggs, I meant those that go on the biscuit egg sandwiches, which are terrible. I didn’t know they were frozen but I knew they weren’t “real” eggs, they are the liquid eggs.

So know I to ask for the “round” egg to get the actual egg from a shell!

2 Likes

also appreciate the info.

but, as they say, different strokes… i’ve never liked fried eggs and never had a problem with the scrambled eggs — frozen though they may be — on the sausage egg biscuit that i enjoy twice a year — tops.

1 Like

Just curious, what do you dislike about fried eggs?
I would have guessed they were a dish with no enemies and universally liked.
I learn new stuff everyday.
:slight_smile:

I don’t know what WW’s issue maybe but I have encountered many people who dislike fried eggs as they can’t stand either the wobbly white part, the runny yolk or both. The only way they can eat an egg is once its been homogenized into an even yellow mass and then turned into scrambled or an omelette. And then most likely the whole mass must be thoroughly cooked so nothing is runny. From my observations its a textures and squeamishnish thing.

I on the other hand love a runny oozy partially cooked egg. Dried out scrambled eggs go into the bin.

3 Likes

Then you have weirdos like me who can barely even look at a cooked egg, much less eat one. Luckily, my kid liked scrambled eggs for only a millisecond so my experience with cooking them was short-lived (for now).

Regarding the former executive chef at McDonald’s…The guy was willing to risk potential career suicide to expose the egg cookery at McDonald’s. I wonder if he’s thought of as a folk hero amongst the lower ranks. Or maybe he’s at the bottom of the East River.

7 Likes

Funny. Eggs, be they fried, scrambled, or soft boiled were the very first food I learned to cook, somewhere in the 3+ years range.
Never occurred to me that people could dislike Eggs. As I said, I still learn new stuff everyday.
:slight_smile:

5 Likes

If you’re hungry during the drive, consider stopping at Three Penny Taproom in Montpelier. Casual place with really nice beer selection and solid pub-esque food options. Pretty sure I learned about it originally on this forum, a long time ago!

p.s. read the top post three days too late and my brain was no longer in the right cautious mode - you totally fooled me

5 Likes

But I LOVE that the post took on a life of its own about McDonald’s virtues or foibles AND additional Vermont sites for @digga to go to when they go eclipsing this weekend!

8 Likes

I love the “polar opposites” fried egg - crispy edges and a runny yolk for sopping up with toast. Don’t like a snotty white, though.

2 Likes

First thing I learned to cook too. And at about the same age. It was probably “helping” mom stir the scrambled eggs in the pan. :+1:t2:

1 Like

I haven’t been to McDonald’s in a long time, but one of my favorite McDonald’s items of all time was the banana pie that they have in China. It’s fried like the apple pie in the United States used to be.

The banana theme seems appropriate for April Fools’ Day​:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

ahem. McDonald's [Warner, NH]

1 Like

sorry for the delayed response — life’s been hectic.

this conversation has taken such an interesting turn. i, too, love runny soft eggs — soft boiled, poached. and i, too hate overcooked dried out scrambled eggs. i’ve just never really liked the fully cooked white.

and re the sausage egg biscuit, i’ve always prefered the contrast between the sausage and homogenous texture of the scrambled egg.

1 Like

OMW!! :yum: :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

While I won’t cave into admitting that McDonalds is good, or that they serve real food, occasionally, a Big Mac or some nuggets hit the spot. But with that said, the biggest crime here isn’t the food - it’s the prices. Fast food in general is no longer that cheap and for the same amount of money, I’d 100% rather go to a local sub or slice shop and give them my Andrew Jackson.

3 Likes

I so miss the salads, And dressings. Newman’s did a great spicy ranch style for McDonald’s that is not available retail. Maybe someday it will be back.

2 Likes