MC Slim JB Watch

Nice! I love reading your reviews.

2 Likes

Love the write up and we loved Lenox Sophia on our visit a few weeks back. The BYOB is a plus, not a minus, in my mind and the folks at Social Wines gave us an excellent pairing recommendation.

As a pescatarian, I love seeing these prix fixe menus where fish and veg are spotlighted rather than consolation prizes.

4 Likes

at some point, I made myself a note to try Seabiscuit, and that it was located in the former KO pies site and still had meat pies on the menu. I must be confused about something- can you unconfuse me?

1 Like

Sorry for butting in, but I’m doing research into our upcoming DC trip while taking a lunch break so I saw your question…Seabiscuit is in the former East Boston shipyard location of KO Pies, near the ICA Watershed, whereas Lenox Sophia is in the former Southie location (which I think only did counter/takeout service).

I’ve been wanting to check out Seabiscuit, too. We were fond of KO Pies there, not to mention the fun location.

Edited to add: Every trip we take, I find myself thinking, I’ll see what Chowhounders have to say, too. And then I find myself sad all over again. Wayback Machine is incomprehensible to me.

3 Likes

Thank you! I did not realize KO pies had more than one location. Also, in the dim reaches of memory, I feel like there was some relationship from Seabiscuit to the Biscuit, formerly located near Dali in Somerville, which had excellent biscotti and other baked goods. Another good reason to check it out.
Edited to add: I can’t confirm the Biscuit relationship & a search shows the Biscuit with a location at Bow Market. Maybe I made it up. Anyone?

2 Likes

You are correct. They were in one space in Somerville, lease ran out, they moved to Bow Market and now Seabiscuit. All outlined in a Globe article recently.

2 Likes

Glad to see you are doing well.

2 Likes

A new review from MC Slim JB, published 2/28.

3 Likes

My latest review for Boston Magazine, of JP’s lovely Tonino: https://www.bostonmagazine.com/restaurants/2023/04/25/tonino-jamaica-plain/

5 Likes

Nice writing, as always, and enticing food.

1 Like

Thanks for posting! Great review.

1 Like

Agree or disagree with the premise but a thorough review would mention the “5% Kitchen Appreciation Fee” added to every check. If it was an oversight I apologize.

That’s an omission on my part. I know I mention the KAF in my next one. Thanks for noting it!

1 Like

Nice review! I don’t even like pizza, but the write up of the bread sounds delicious.

1 Like

My new one for BoMag, of Comfort Kitchen in Upham’s Corner: https://www.bostonmagazine.com/restaurants/2023/05/30/review-comfort-kitchen-dorchester/

5 Likes

As always, great to read you and a great read! We are really looking forward to trying it. Thanks for posting.

1 Like

See Openings/closings Jan/Feb/March 2023 [Boston, New England] - #49 by fooddabbler

I guess the question at the end of that post is now answered. Thanks.

1 Like

My most recent one for Boston Magazine, of Bar Vlaha in Washington Square, Brookline, which is awesome: https://www.bostonmagazine.com/restaurants/2023/08/24/bar-vlaha-review/

7 Likes

From a longtime fan: thanks so much for posting.

I had a really horrible, extended experience trying to cancel my apparently automatic subscription(s) with Boston Magazine, electronic vs.print, with horrible customer service. Otherwise I’d be reading you every time you post.

Beautiful review as always, and great to see you here.

Great review. It seems the (restaurant) hits keep coming to Washington Square - after we moved away :crazy_face:

1 Like