MC Slim JB Watch

I thought I’d bring your attention to a nice tribute by MC Slim JB to Jonathan Gold. Many of you will know it already, but here’s the link in case anybody missed it:
http://www.improper.com/food-drink/the-gold-rush/

It would be useful, I thought, for us to have a thread dedicated to such gems.

6 Likes

yes, and MC Slim JB is himself a gem. I’ve loved his writing and taken advantage of his insight for many years now. He does have a day job and I hope he’ll keep up his food reporting.

2 Likes

Agreed, MC Slim JB is our very own gem of a food writer, to be celebrated.

1 Like

this is not an MC Slim JB piece (it’s by Will Gilson of Puritan & Co.) but it was pointed out by him on that social network that makes money off all of your data, and it’s pretty good.

6 Likes

Apologies for the self-promotion, but I suspect some of my longtime Chowhound pals might be interested in my current professional work, as I got picked up by Boston Magazine to do occasional reviews and features. In addition to contributing to the 50 Best Restaurants feature a few months back https://www.bostonmagazine.com/best-restaurants-in-boston/ , my first review, of Southie’s Lenox Sophia, was just published: https://www.bostonmagazine.com/restaurants/2023/01/04/lenox-sophia-review/ . More reviews coming, too.

11 Likes

As are your current HO pals, I’m sure. Nice Sophia review with a terrific attention-grabbing opening.

2 Likes

So nice to see you here, MC, and in Boston Magazine. Wonderful review by someone gifted with knowledge, vast food experience, and beautiful writing skills! Thank you!

6 Likes

Thanks for the mouth-watering review! Keeping pork tenderloin moist is a challenge for us amateurs, but you would think the pros should have it down. Maybe they should give sous vide a shot :wink:

1 Like

Nice! I love reading your reviews.

2 Likes

Love the write up and we loved Lenox Sophia on our visit a few weeks back. The BYOB is a plus, not a minus, in my mind and the folks at Social Wines gave us an excellent pairing recommendation.

As a pescatarian, I love seeing these prix fixe menus where fish and veg are spotlighted rather than consolation prizes.

4 Likes

at some point, I made myself a note to try Seabiscuit, and that it was located in the former KO pies site and still had meat pies on the menu. I must be confused about something- can you unconfuse me?

1 Like

Sorry for butting in, but I’m doing research into our upcoming DC trip while taking a lunch break so I saw your question…Seabiscuit is in the former East Boston shipyard location of KO Pies, near the ICA Watershed, whereas Lenox Sophia is in the former Southie location (which I think only did counter/takeout service).

I’ve been wanting to check out Seabiscuit, too. We were fond of KO Pies there, not to mention the fun location.

Edited to add: Every trip we take, I find myself thinking, I’ll see what Chowhounders have to say, too. And then I find myself sad all over again. Wayback Machine is incomprehensible to me.

3 Likes

Thank you! I did not realize KO pies had more than one location. Also, in the dim reaches of memory, I feel like there was some relationship from Seabiscuit to the Biscuit, formerly located near Dali in Somerville, which had excellent biscotti and other baked goods. Another good reason to check it out.
Edited to add: I can’t confirm the Biscuit relationship & a search shows the Biscuit with a location at Bow Market. Maybe I made it up. Anyone?

2 Likes

You are correct. They were in one space in Somerville, lease ran out, they moved to Bow Market and now Seabiscuit. All outlined in a Globe article recently.

2 Likes

Glad to see you are doing well.

2 Likes

A new review from MC Slim JB, published 2/28.

3 Likes

My latest review for Boston Magazine, of JP’s lovely Tonino: https://www.bostonmagazine.com/restaurants/2023/04/25/tonino-jamaica-plain/

5 Likes

Nice writing, as always, and enticing food.

1 Like

Thanks for posting! Great review.

1 Like

Agree or disagree with the premise but a thorough review would mention the “5% Kitchen Appreciation Fee” added to every check. If it was an oversight I apologize.