Mayo: love it or hate it?

I have one next to my range top. Don’t use it as much as I use to. These days mostly to get eggs to set quickly when making an omelette without browning

I’ve long wanted to try Duke’s but have never found it in any store here in OC/SoCal. Buying it on line seems wasteful unless it’s life changing. Kewpie has been a favorite for me but my wife’s a purist so we have Best Foods on hand all the time too. If anyone has a tip on a retail option for Duke’s around here I’d be grateful.

1 Like

Try this

1 Like

I’m a firm no on mayo, but always have a small jar for mom and whomever else wanders in and wants something with mayo. Hellmann’s has always been the standard in this region, but I noticed recently that my local market now carries Duke’s. Maybe I’ll try it next time (or, more correctly, have mom try it :wink:

1 Like

Thank you. I’d found that locator some time ago but the two closest locations listed have not had Duke’s in stock when I looked for it. I’ve found that those locators can be unreliable, probably because companies generally sell through distributors who don’t always keep the listings current. May try calling some of the other listings.

1 Like

I love mayo. Was saddened when Heinz decided to drop their “salad cream” which is a very cheap imitation of mayonaisse; saddened because they changed their corporate mind and decided to continue its manufacture. Salad cream is similar to Marmite you either love it or hate it — I hate as it is far too vinegary for my taste and I’m no fan of Marmite either.

I had Salad Cream for the first time when I had lunch in someone’s house in England probably a half century ago. I remember it being very vinegary. I think I was expecting a taste like Miracle Whip.

1 Like

What do people think of Alabama White Sauce?

4 Likes

@johntannerbbq

Any thoughts?

It scares me.

And it’s torturing me that this thread has been revived and y’all are reminding me of the existence of mayo on a daily basis :laughing:

1 Like

Looks like Fry’s has it here. That’s about the only grocery store I haven’t looked in. I got some Kewpie at H Mart when I was in the Phoenix area last week and there’s a new jar of Best Foods (Hellman’s) in the fridge, so Duke’s will have to wait a bit

1 Like

I don’t know of any good commercial white sauce. Even Bob Gibson’s doesn’t taste like the fresh. The absolute best is at Miss Myra’s in Cahaba Heights outside Birmingham. For those who haven’t tried it, the dominant flavors are pepper and vinegar, with little if any mayonnaise flavor. It has a creaminess that makes it very good for chicken. Here’s a recipe –
2 cups mayonnaise
1 cup white vinegar
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2-3 tsp horseradish
2 T black. pepper
2-3 tsp fresh lemon juice
2tsp kosher salt
1 tsp cayenne
Adjust to taste.

3 Likes

I’ve never tried it (yet), however I could easily see this for my pulled pork sandwich when I want the tang of coleslaw without the slaw. Thanks for mentioning this.

2 Likes

Mayo is essence of life. I used to put mayo on many things. Anything that you think of ketchup (hot dog, burger…), I used to put mayo instead. As late as even graduate school, I remember putting mayo on my burger instead of ketchup.

5 Likes

5 Likes

Because it will dilute the awesomeness of mayo.

2 Likes

Ah, I’m a maximalist with regard to condiments. Mayo + mustard + ketchup is fine with me!

4 Likes

The holy trinity.

3 Likes

Always mayo & ketchup. No mustard for me. That’s a hot dog condiment.

3 Likes

Unless it is a chili burger.

2 Likes