May/June 2020 Openings and Closings [Boston and New England]

Saddens me too. I had two experiences with CC in the last 8 months, one very good and less so (posted elsewhere), but I’m sad to see them go. They were fun.

4 Likes

Thana Thai may close soon on the heels of Toraya.

2 Likes

I’ve been to all 3. Fond memories at Stella, with a dearly-departed friend. An ok time at the Automatic (I’m actually surprised they hung on so long due to a weird location between Kendall and Central). Many debaucherous (isn’t that a word?) nights at Cuchi-Cuchi as it was our office’s traditional kick-off venue for co-workers‘ send-offs whenever someone left the company. Long, fun, loud nights. Much alcohol consumed and not enough food. Sigh.

7 Likes

I totally get that. This is horrible for small restaurants, but for a while I’ll prioritize places that are trying to help keep everyone, including themselves, their staffs and their patrons, safe rather than defiantly aspiring to fill to 100%.

6 Likes

My daughter-in-law worked at Cuchi-Cuchi for a few years several years back, and absolutely adored it. She made many lasting friendships and has many wonderful memories. She is really grieving this loss and so grateful for her time there.

7 Likes

digga, I’'m shocked, shocked. (I bet you went around horizontally after these nights, taking pictures of your spicy stuff.)

4 Likes

Oh no- Thana Thai?! Very sad.

via Boston Restaurant Talk, supposedly they’re going to do takeout business through Commonwealth Kitchen in Cambridge

1 Like

A new French bakery, Colette, has opened in Medford, run by a French couple. I wish them much success!

4 Likes

Hey, a month late. That’s what you get for calling me names.

Are you back in our area?

I am duly shamed (hangs head). No names were called, you can’t hear an admiring tone there?

No, I feel like I will be stuck here in AZ, roasting in extreme heat advisories, forever. However, I am healthy and in a safe, comfortable dwelling, WFH, so I really have nothing to complain about.

3 Likes

I’ve been here a few times now. The folks who run it are great, and the bread is pretty good. (It lacks salt a bit for my taste, but it’s well baked and always fresh). They make a ham and cheese “croissant” that is more like a roll than a croissant, but that I really like for breakfast.

Last week they started to make some ham sandwiches. Not sure if they do them every day yet, but they looked good.

3 Likes

I’m glad you’re healthy. Please stay that way. For us, if not for you.

3 Likes

the big CMart on Lincoln Street is closed for good. This probably doesn’t bode well for Hei La Moon and Best BBQ on Beach St.

Hadn’t there been talk in the past (possibly even by you) of that building being on the verge of being sold and likely gentrified?

That BBQ place was one of three places I rotated between to get lunch to take onto Amtrak on my Monday trips to NYC (in a time that now seems so long ago). I’d get crisp-skinned pork (sometimes pork+duck) on rice from them, along with the obligatory steamed cabbage.

(The best option was, of course Gene’s DTX, where I’d get the #4 amped with 3 lamb skewers. My third go-to was the Jamaican food truck outside South Station where I’d get goat or oxtail, rice and beans, and plantains.)

1 Like

yeah, the building was sold last year to Oxford Properties, a big developer. (They were partners in the Hudson Yards thing in NYC). They’ve already proposed a 24 story office tower for the site, but I don’t know what the status of that is. So I feared the days were numbered for these places, and it’s likely C Mart leaving is the first nail in the coffin.

I’ve always liked that BBQ place too. And Hei La Moon is really only kind of serviceable, but has its place. I’ve gone on family outings there because it was great for a table of 12 and no one cares if there’s a baby or two in tow who makes all kinds of noise.

2 Likes

I’ve been anticipating that since they announced the sale of that land/building for redevelopment. After visiting the newer outposts of C-Mart, I’ve felt like that original one on Lincoln felt even more cramped and not so well-kept, so not so big of a loss IMO. I did always appreciate being able to swing by when I was in town to grab something I needed from there, because it was on its way to the T station for me. There are a few small markets in the area like Jia Ho.

I would be sad to lose Best BBQ or Hei La Moon though, and I hope they survive. The questionably spartan interiors of Best BBQ aside, they actually had pretty good roast meats. Hei La Moon still had lines of patrons waiting outside during peak holiday and weekend hours when I was in that area, so it will be said if that goes. I hope it would be able to find a home in one of the neighboring neighborhoods. I think any chances of staying in Boston, unless this pandemic causes a precipitous drop in rent, would be difficult with the recent development boom.

4 Likes

Well, I’m definitely not a fan of Monica’s now, as much as I understand how excruciating this is.
https://www.boston.com/food/restaurants/2020/05/28/frank-mendoza-monicas-north-end

4 Likes

Agreed - what a self-centered idiot

4 Likes

Agree. While it’s got to be tough for restaurants it seems like that kind of attitude isn’t going to help at all and doesn’t inspire confidence that he cares about the health of his employees or customers.

2 Likes