May–August 2022 Baking Book: BAKING WITH DORIE

EVERYTHING CAKE.

I don’t have the book Baking With Dorie, and took the recipe off of the internet. It appealed to me because it seems infinitely riffable and doesn’t call for a mixer.

This morning I made an apple brandy version, adding 1 T. of calvados to the batter, topping with a honey-crisp apple, cinnamon sugar, and a boiled-cider and lemon glaze.

The cake took 25 minutes to put together, including getting things out, using the apple peeler, and locating the bottle of calvados. All my ingredients were room temp except the apple, and it took just over 40 minutes to bake in a 9” springform pan. The recipe calls for 28-32 minutes - maybe she uses a convection oven?

As a fan of Marion Burros’s Plum Torte for a quick-fix, fruited cake, I also love Dorie’s recipe. It’s more cake-like: a little lighter, richer, and taller. It was moist and I could taste all of the elements: butter, vanilla, salt, brandy and apples.

Clean-up also was easy. A good recipe to have for Sunday Brunch. I’m glad I tried it and will make it again.

12 Likes

DG doesn’t indicate convection in any of her recipes.

She also has two terrific, specifically apple cakes I recommend, both essentially enough batter to hold the apples together (and neither of which require a mixer): Marie-Hélène’s Apple Cake and Custardy Apple Squares. I always follow her suggestion to add 2 T. of booze to the Custardy Apple Squares (I use dark rum).

8 Likes

MOCHACCINO MUFFINS Page 68
Dry ingredients-flour,unsweetened cocoa,baking powder,salt,baking soda,sugar and ground coffee (Dorie doesnt say how fine your coffee grounds should be) mine were just a step above find are whisked together.
To this add wet ingredients of milk,eggs,coffee extract(I used leftover coffee) melted butter is added. Mixed till flour disappears and chocolate chip or chopped chocolate is added.
Next time I would add chocolate chips instead of chopped chocolate because it disappeared in baking and bake for 17 to 18 minutes. You first taste chocolate and then the coffee kicks in. I used 1/4cup and got exactly 12 muffins

15 Likes

These are definitely on my to-make list.

I remember making those squares (the cake you mention too) and loving them.

1 Like

BLUEBERRY BISCUITS.

Another recipe from Baking With Dorie found on-line:

I made a half-batch for starters, using semi-frozen, garden blueberries (the recipe is probably better suited for smaller, wild blueberries). I opted to cut the dough mass into 4 squares, rather than using a round biscuit cutter. The biscuits spread a little, but still were eye-appealing. Given these were more on the cakey side and less on the flakey side, with no opportunity to laminate the dough, I’m tempted to try them again using a scoop to portion.

What’s not to love here? They were delicious – crunchy on the outside, tender on the inside with plenty of blueberry flavor. Today served simply with homemade peach jam, I think the suggestion to serve these with whipped cream as a shortcake base is a good one, and when we’ve got fresh seasonal fruit this summer, I’ll do just that.

12 Likes

STEFS BAKEWELL TART page 298
An all purpose tart dough page 355 - flour,sugar salt and butter are processed in food processor to which egg and water are added and zpped till dough starts to come together.
After chilling the dough is partially baked and cooled. This comes together quickly.
Cake part. Raspberry jam is spread on oiled tart shell. Butter and sugar are beaten together, till pale and creamy. Dry ingredients of almond flour, ap flour, baking powder, and salt is added to egg mixture and mixed until it disappears. This is spread evenly over the jam. Sliced almonds are spread evenly over the cake. My baking time was exactly 40 minutes. I also made whip cream to go with the cake. This is my second time making this cake. I brought it to a potluck and not a crumb was left. The brits told me it was the best they’ve had.

17 Likes

Really beautiful tart!

3 Likes

Thank you.

CHEESE PUFFERS

I don’t have the book Baking With Dorie, but found the recipe on-line here.

I made a 1/3 recipe, which should have resulted in 4 puffers. I used a mix of gruyere and parmesan, as that’s what I had handy. I added a finely chopped scallion. I was using our top oven, which only has a single rack, and I didn’t put a drip pan below the baking tin. To reduce the risk of spillage, I used a scant ¼ c. measure and made 5 puffers out of it. Next time I’ll go with just the 4, as it seems a safe, dripless amount.

These were easy, fun and tasty – light, cheesy, a little crispy on the outside and soft-spongy on the inside. Seems you could have many variations – something for when you’re craving quiche or souffle, but don’t want all the work. I’ve put the recipe in my keeper file, but I do think they deserve a more sophisticated name.

Served today with garden greens in vinaigrette for a very nice lunch.

16 Likes

I’ve made those and they reheat well.

1 Like

Good to know (I was wondering).

ONE BIG BREAK-APART CHIPPER page 152
Ap flour,wwflour(rye in my case) ground expresso, cinnamon,cardamom are whisked together.
In bowl of mixer cold butter and white and brown are mixed together till clumps form. add dry ingredients until crumbs form, whisk in egg and honey(My honey solidified so I used Maple syrup) continue mixing until you can squeeze dough together. Mix in chocolate and nuts. Between sheets of parchment roll to 1/8" thickness. Refrigerate for 1 hr. and then take off top parchment paper. Option was to sprinkle turbinado sugar which i did but i think it made it too sweet. Bake for 20 to 24 minutes. Cool completely and break apart. It’s to serve 8
people but it’s a huge amount. Will be nice to have a small piece with coffee.

10 Likes

More BLUEBERRY BISCUITS.

I wish we could embed posts – this is a follow-up to my prior post on Dorie’s Blueberry Biscuits. I’ve been using Greek yogurt to make these. For my revisit, I used 3 extra Tablespoons of buttermilk, giving me a slightly looser dough. It was a bit easier to work in the frozen blueberries – there was less smashing of the berries and without all that juice, the dough was decidedly less sticky and easier to handle. Instead of patting and cutting, I used a #14 cookie scoop. The result was 10 generous biscuits from a full recipe. I brushed four of those with buttermilk, topping with raw sugar and baking immediately. The rest went naked into the freezer for another day.

I am very happy with the result. Quick and easy to make, and super tasty. I just need our strawberries to ripen so I can make shortcake with them.

14 Likes

If you are revisiting a recipe, or just reporting on any recipe that’s already been posted about, just reply to the original post on the recipe (or your own post, if you are following up). That keeps all the posts about a given recipe linked within the thread.

I love how much baking you are doing from this book, just via recipes found online.

3 Likes

I hadn’t thought of linking the threads that way - I’ll do it going forward. Thanks!

I have one more to go - a corn bread recipe. I hope to get to it next week. The three recipes I’ve tried thus far have all been winners. I rarely purchase cookbooks anymore for the usual reasons, so I’m still on the fence about purchasing this one. Hoping to see more posts to convince me! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We try to keep posts about particular COTM recipes linked so it’s easier to peruse and compare others’ experiences.

In my experience, DG is very reliable (I have severance of her books). You might consider subscribing to her free newsletter . Not every one contains a recipe, but most do, and she has included a number of recipes from this book, as well as from her other books or that she’s published elsewhere, along with some by other authors.

I’m about to break a long baking hiatus, so I expect to be making and reporting on some recipes from this book over the next months.

5 Likes

Either I’ve been out of town, or Lulu has, so I haven’t been baking. Hoping in a week or two to make something from the book.

4 Likes

Re-visiting Dorie’s Puffers. This version was bacon, cheddar and scallion. Crispy on the outside, and eggy on the inside. We’re liking this recipe very much as an easy breakfast bite.

11 Likes

Geez, just noticed autocorrect changed several to severance. I never understand why it wants to default to less common words.…