May–August 2022 Baking Book: BAKING WITH DORIE

MY FAVORITE PUMPKIN PIE, p. 272

Dorie Greenspan has published a corrected version of the pumpkin pie recipe (she says the one that made it into the book in error is an earlier iteration with cracking issues).

4 Likes

Thanks for posting this.

Baking with Dorie is currently $1.99 for Kindle.

3 Likes

Twist Bread page 21. The bread recipe is The Daily Bread on page 11. After the 2nd rise the dough is rolled out into a rectangle and spread with butter then sprinkled with sugar,cinnamon and cocoa and raisins. I used cranberries. Rolled and about 1 inch from top cut into 3 pieces. These are twisted and braided and then coiled. Ends pinched and go into an 8" cake pan. Brushed with egg and sanding sugar is sprinkled for a 3rd rise. This is a lovely chewy bread but i would have liked more of a swirl effect. Next time i will increase the filling by a bit. Oh and after the first rolling i put the whole thing in the freezer for about 15 minutes. I find it helps with the cutting. The dough firms up a bit. Always do it for babkas. It was so good with coffee this morning.

13 Likes

It looks delicious!

2 Likes

Impressive looking.

Thanks. Its very easy to make. I was flattered this afternoon because usually on the weekend in the afternoon my dh of 52 years has a glass of wine with a slice of baguette and pate but today he asked for a slice of this bread with butter.

6 Likes

High praise indeed!

1 Like

Coffee-Anise Stars Page 176
These cookies have espresso and ground star anise but i have anise oil so used 4 drops. The flavor of coffee comes thru more than the anise. Dough is rolled out between parchment paper and refrigerated or frozen. It took me quiet a few cookies before I developed a technique to ice them. Put a small teaspoon of icing in the middle and then with a small offset spatula ice to the points. Smooth out icing.

10 Likes

Here i go trying to keep up with Tuesdays with Dorie. Chocolate Babka was one of the recipes picked this month. Brioche dough is made the day before and requires some attention during the day with over night rest. A filling is made with cocoa and after the babka rises its brushed with egg white and sprinkled with strudel. This give a nice crunchy result. The babka baked up light and airy with layers like a croissant. The best babka I’ve bake

d to date.

12 Likes

Potato-Parm Tart page 306
I made the galette dough in this book. Galette dough is pre baked.For the tart cream cheese parm, and chives are creamed together and spread on the galette. Potatoes that are sliced very thin (mandoline) are arranged on the filling. Potatoes are brushed with oil, sprinkle of flake salt, grated parm and a herb. Thyme in my case. Baked. Its a very crisp galette. We had it for lunch with salad and wine but it could also be a good appetizer.

12 Likes

Looks fantastic. Were the potatoes cooked through all over? I love double carbs.

1 Like

Yes i used 1 russet potato and the cut very thin(like for potato chips) baked in 20 minutes.

1 Like

Come by and vote for the first BCOTM of 2023.

Iced Honey-Apple Scones with Spelt page 57
272 grms all purpose flour and 75 grms spelt flour is used. 1 finely chopped apple is added to the batter and only 1/4 cup of honey is the sweetner in the batter. This is a very moist dough and i couldnt shape the scones into my scone pan. I used a scoop that i use for muffins but feel it was too big. A correct measurement would be about 1/3 cup. The baked result was a tender moist cake like scone which had more orange flavor than apple and the icing is definitely needed to sweeten up the scone.

7 Likes

Peanut butter chocolate chip Paris style cookies Page 155
Still Baking with Dorie. These are exquisite cookies that have several steps. The cookie dough has to have an overnight rest. A peanut brittle is made and some is ground to a sprinkle and some into a paste form. This tooks some time. I used my little kitchen aid processor. After cookies are baked and cooled a bit the spread is put on the cookie and several chocolate chunks or chocolate chip are gently pushed into the cookie. The sprinkle and flake salt go on next. Dorie suggests making 18 cookies but I used a 2 tblsps scoop and got 24. What would only be better is having one of these at a sidewalk cafe in paris.

12 Likes

One of the bakes this month from Tuesdays with Dorie is Swedish Fika Cake page 120.
This recipe was such a wonderful surprise. A simple batter of eggs, butter, baking powder,vanilla and butter is mixed together. About 30 minutes into baking a topping of butter,sliced almond, sugar,flour annd salt is cooked constantly mixing until you see tracks. This is spread on the cake and cake continues to bake until golden. Final result was a very moist cake with a nice crunch topping. We absolutely loved it.

14 Likes

This looks amazing.

2 Likes

Its really not too complicated to make. I would recommend a springform baking pan.

3 Likes

Carrot Muffins page 65
A quick recipe to put together. Wisk dry ingredients together, add wet to dry. One of the wet ingredients is pomegranate molasses. Add carrots, i just chopped mine in a mini food processor. Topped with walnuts because i had no sunflower seeds. It makes 12 good size muffins that are nice and fluffy. I think you could ice them with cream cheese frosting and they would pass for little carrot cakes. We loved them.

9 Likes