May 2018, Boston, MA. Openings and closings! (Jeez this is late)

According to Eater Boston, El Rincon de Moody’s opened as of May 22. :grinning:

1 Like

According to El Rincon des Moodys they open today.

1 Like

Oh if only I could get there to check it out in person—perhaps someone else will get there soon. Maybe you have a lunch in your future!

Pavement Coffee now has a cafe/roasting facility on 415 Western Ave in Allston. Looks like it’s close to opening.

1 Like

Got myself two sets of the 3-tacos-for-tenbucks deal for lunch today, paying an extra $2 for the lobster taco in one set. The tacos are tiny – about 3 bites each – so at $22 this was an expensive lunch. Both the pescado and lobster were overwhelmed by their rather soupy accompaniments, and it was hard to taste what ought to have been the main ingredient. The pollo was nicely smoky, but also a little soupy. The second flight – barbacoa, carnitas and chorizo (fresh) – was much better, with a nice kick on the chorizo. I’m glad I tried them, but at that price this won’t be a regular lunch option for me. (I walked off with 1/2 lb of Moody’s pastrami from next door, and warmed tomorrow it will make a terrific, more substantial, and much cheaper ($8ish) lunch on mustard slathered bread.)

5 Likes

Wow, what a timely report, @fooddabbler. Thank you for sharing your candid impressions of El Rincon de Moody’s. Sounds like that pastrami will be a worthy consolation prize!

1 Like

I should add, to be fair, that their tacos, even the “soupy” ones, have a lot of interesting flavor and texture combinations with the use of avocado, radishes, cucumbers, pickled onions, etc. Also, to their credit, each type of taco seems carefully planned (radishes to balance the beef, cucumbers to contrast with the pork, avocado in the lobster taco, etc.). You don’t simply get the same add-ons on every taco. Nevertheless, I think, they are expensive, and my stained shirt from yesterday wishes the sea-tacos had been less runny.

1 Like

“Sea-tacos” is such a useful term. :grinning: To me seafood tacos are such an elusive dish, even in beachside spots where you might reasonably hope to find decent ones. A great taco is all about composition, in my opinion, and runny is not a happy thing even if the flavor profile is wonderful.

1 Like

Fo they have a salsa bar ?

They have no salsa bar that I saw.

I have seen salsa bars in the Boston area in only two places:

Qdoba…years ago, I didn’t 't return
and there was a “Mexican” place in Central Square, closed long ago, that had one.

picante

If you mean the one that used to be in Central Square, isn’t it now closed and replaced by Shanghai Fresh? (Or is there another, also with a salsa bar?)

the mexican restaurant with the salsa bar in central square (that closed and has been replaced by shanghai fresh) was picante

1 Like

At one point, there was also a Picante in Davis Square, I think. The Central Square one closed later, I think years ago.

Went by the old Fireplace spot on the corner of Washington St and Beacon st this weekend and saw that a new place is now open for brunch, called Porto Maltese. looks like seafood heavy Portuguese/Mediterranean fare. The sign said they are currently open for lunch.
http://portomaltese.com/

2 Likes

Doretta Taverna, Michael Schlow’s place in the old Via Matta spot is closing at the end of this month. Surprising, but not completely, as it was pretty empty the last time we were in there.

1 Like

I’m out of town but a friend posted that Hakata Ramen just opened in Waltham. I’ll have to check it out when I’m back!

Did you really think high end Greek food would work in the high rent district? I couldn’t see that lasting, I do care how good it might have been.
Sorry,
CocoDan

No apology needed, I was not a huge fan, but thought that it might last at least as long as Via Matta did. I found the food good, but wildly overpriced.