Matfer has updates to their carbon steel pans

Hi,

Thanks.

I really do enjoy using the Skeppshult cast iron indeed, such nice shapes and stay cool handles. I tend to use cast iron or (de Buyer, Darto) carbon steel most of the time when liquids or acids are not involved in cooking, there is something I like about using them.

I see that you like your Skeppshult also, that’s great, which pieces are you using? You are from Sweden I suppose? I’m Finn, currently actually on a cruise ship from Sweden back to Finland, we visited Skansen yesterday. Taking a rest after the buffet now, haha.

1 Like

Sounds like a great way to spend the hollydays. :blush:

Yeah I really enjoy them. What draw me to skepshult was the fact that they are milled at the bottom. That makes them stand perfectly flat on a glas top. Others like lodge or Staub are rarely perfectly flat and will wickle a bit on glas tops.

I have a 28 cm straight sided pan. And a 26 cm more french style pan. Both are really nice. But the 28 cm is a bit big for my 210 burner on our Voss/Electrolux induction cooktop.

Actually I’m Danish. :blush:

1 Like

Nice, they sit absolutely flat indeed. You have that beautiful walnut handle on the 26 frypan, I tried to get it for my pancake iron, but kitchenone sent me the beech handle, lol.

The low and flared shape of their frypans I find is ideal for getting under food with a spatula, they are even lower sidewall vs de Buyers and offer heaps more cooking space too. It’s not the best for stir frying though, could easily bounce something out, but its great for many things.

I have the 28cm deep pan also, it’s now great on my new Electrolux EIF61342 with a 28cm dual hob. The side burners on it are 2x21cm. Back on my old cooktop, I hoped I also bought the 26cm instead of the 28cm frypan I had in my photo. The 28cm frypan was a bit too much also, not to mention the deep pan :). I think for 21cm induction, the 24cm frypan is ideal in terms of heat spread, it can shell out even pancakes one after another, but it’s a bit small for a main frypan and I think the 26cm is the correct choice for you on that cooktop, it works pretty well I suppose?

I should have noticed DK on your nick…

1 Like

The walnut handle sure is nice. :blush: I am planning to treat it with some linnseed oil to keep it nice.

The 26 cm works beautifully on the 210 mm plate. Heats nice and evenly all the way to the edge.

For everyday use normally the 26 cm is easily big enough. I recently bought a demeyere proline 7 24 cm pan. It works really well in the 210 mm plate too. It’s also big enough for most stuff. The Demeyere is also a bit big for its size compared to other 24 cm pans.

For lighter non stick pans. The 210 mm plate is easily big enough for 28 cm pans.

No problem… My name is also used in Sweden only spelled Sören. So I can see why you assumed that hat way :blush:

1 Like

Hey Søren/Hi Soren,

I’m also danish, from Copenhagen.

I also used to be a fan of carbon steel pans, especially the thicker ones, like De Buyer and Darto, but for the second time sold all my raw carbon steel pans earlier this year, because my wife continuously accidentally soaked the pans over night after I had used them and I had to remove rust from the pans a bit too often and I simply got sick of it.

I also very often use wine, balsamic glazes and applecider vinegar in my pan sauces, so I often found myself in problems with the seasoning partly stripping from my raw iron pans.

So I decided to just use my 3 Demeyere Proline 7-ply frying pans for high heat searing, and never having to worry about seasoning stripping and rust removal from my pans again.

I use 2.5 and 2.0 copper pans and 5-ply pans for most of my other cooking.

I cook on gas by the way.

Cheers, Claus

Hallo Claus.

Sounds good. My mineral B is the only carbon pan I have, and the wife has her own pans(non stick) so I guess I can use it without the pan being harmed :blush:

I have a demeyere 24 cm Proline 7 pan too. It’s a great pan for me, and I use it for the same things I used the mineral B for.

What kind of 5 ply do you use?

I have considered getting either a de buyer or mauviel 5 ply stainless. But I’m uncertain how they will perform on induction.

Have a nice weekend.

Søren

1 Like

Hi,

I have no experience with those standard 2,6mm lighter alu ply pans you are considering, but I have cooked for years on a similar induction cooktop as you are on currently, and I have 21cm hobs on my current one also as mentioned.

You already have a Proline in 24cm, why are you considering a thinner pan now and of what size and shape?

What I can say, is that the de Buyer and Mauviel clad stainless frypans in 28cm are small bottomed, similar as your de Buyer 28cm carbon steel. If you find the evenness performance of your carbon pan is enough, then you should have no problems with the ply pans in similar size.

Typically if you ask online, you will get varying answers. It seems to me, that most like a bit thicker alu clad pans than the ones you mentioned though, eg Demeyere industry 3mm.

I have only Falk Coer for clad pans. They have 1,9mm copper in the core and are of 2,5mm total thickness, rest being stainless steel. In heat capacity, this is equivalent to an alu-clad pan that would be about 3,3mm in total thickness with the same amount of steel as in my Falk. If you can find such a pan, the Falk would still perform better in terms of evenness in that scenario though, copper has higher thermal diffusivity.

If you somehow start considering a Falk, my advice is to stop at 24cm for the frypan, or you will be sorry. The Falks are so much larger bottomed pans, the 24cm Falk has similar bottom as a 28cm de Buyer. It’s a good size for 21cm induction.

If you would like a slightly larger bottomed pan than the French, and are considering a 28cm frying pan, my recommendation for your cooktop would be Lagostina Accademia Lagofusion. As 7mm total bottom thickness hybrid clad/disc pan, it heats evenly and has a great heat retention, while still providing some sidewall heat.

I have it, and it was my main pan on the cooktop similar to yours. I also have it in 24cm, and that is fantastic on 18cm sidehobs. Now I’m using larger frypans on my 28cm hob, and the 28cm Lagostina hasn’t gotten much time any more. I would still use the 28cm, if I need the cooking space in addition to a larger pan I had already chosen. Or if I were to sear a couple steaks and make a pan sauce.

Honestly, if you are after a 28cm frypan for your cooktop, I would advice to skip the ply and go for the Lagostina. You would be enjoying a great heat spread and cooking performance. Here is a little gallery I have about it

https://imgur.com/a/0MPtevs

1 Like

No doubt that Lagostina is a great pan. I have the 26 cm. Sauterpan and really enjoy using it :blush:

It’s. Not that I’m actively looking for another pan. I really enjoy my demeyere. And if I was to get a 28 cm stainless. I would probably look for a Proline 7. It has a 22 mm bottom(towards the cooktop) and I assume that my 21 cm hub should be able to heat the Proline in 28 cm. The bottom of my 26 cm lagostina sauterpan is also 22 cm. And it works great.

The only downside to the Proline in 28 cm is the helperhandle. I don’t like those.

My only reason to look for thinner clad pans is better response when raising or lowering the heat. I just often read about thin clad pans that warp on induction. And that holds me back a bit.

1 Like

Ah nice, the Lagostina 28cm has a similarly sized bottom exterior you mentioned, so you basically already have the same performance in your saute pan. The frying pan would just be more flared. Not surprised you like it :+1:.

I’m not too fond of helper handles on frying pans either, it seems a bit off on a 28cm, but I think it doesn’t hurt on a 32cm.

I wouldn’t be too worried about warping a properly sized pan with sensible use.Thicker pan of course would be more resistant, but if you want thinner, then I guess thinner it should be… don’t blame me if you warp it though, lol

2 Likes

Hi Soren,

I own a dozen pans from the Mauviel M’Cook 5-ply line.

They have served me quite well since I bought them back in 2016/2017.

Would I repurchase Mauviel M’Cook if I started all over again ?
Maybe yes, for use as my everyday pans Mauviel M’Cook is pretty much ideal - they aren’t thick as the Demeyere Proline pans, so they can be handled quite easily by my wife also and they aren’t too thin either, so you can still get a pretty acceptable sear on a steak in them.

They are now 6-7 years old and have some scracthes and a bit of pitting in the sauce pots, but other than that they are in mint condition.

I do prefer my 3 thicker Demeyere Proline 7-ply for high heat searing (20cm, 24cm and 28cm) but the difference is not night and day between searing a steak in the thinner Mauviel M’Cook.

I do enjoy using my Falk 2.5 copper pans, my De Buyer Inocuivre 2.0 copper frying pans and my Mauviel M250c copper pans - but again I could easily cook just fine with only my Mauviel M’Cook pans and still make great tasting food.

I also own 6 of the (unfortunately Chinese made) Danish designed Eva Trio Multi pots - they are thick as the Mauviel M’Cook, but I think they are only 3-PLY. I love their design, their performance and their range of lid options. Just wish they weren’t made in China - but what the heck my iPhone is also made in China.

I also own 2 of the older Fissler Original Profi pots - the 28 cm rondeau and the 28 cm large pot. They perform great too.

Staub and Le Creuset ECI pots are also mainstays in my collection, even though they have their shortcomings too. I’m the proud owner of 4-5 Staub ECI pots and 3 Le Creuset ECI pots. I only use these ECI pots for recipes where the food you cook is submerged into a liquid. Otherwise the cast iron ECI pots tend to heat quite unevenly. So I use them for stews and soups.

Have a great weekend - I’m glad we’re not gettting the heat wave up from Italy and France this time around. 42-44 degrees Celcius isn’t funny to have to go to work in, unless you got aircon everywhere.

Claus

1 Like

:joy: dont worry…I would never blame any one else but myself.

At the moment I guess I have a he pans I need. But if I should get a 28 cm stainless. I think the lagostina would be my best bet.

Regarding the other tread I started. I have just cleaned my de buyer carbon pan and are burning it in with oil right now :muscle:

1 Like

As I talked with pertti about. If I was gonna get a 28 cm stainless pan today. I would probably go for a lagostina lagofussion. I own a 26 cm sauterpan. And it is great :blush:

The fact that Eva trio products are made in china are the very reason why I don’t buy them. It’s my impression that they are actually descent products. For me it’s out of political reasons and personal opinions that I will support China as little as possible. Even though it’s difficult :blush:

I also have some ECI pieces. Only le Creuset, Staub is really beautiful , but the pieces I’ve tried always woble on my glass top because they are not flat at the bottom.

I have never tried Cast iron on gas. But I can say that my cast iron. Both enameled and raw works way better on induction then on my old glass ceramic cook top. The heat is way more even and react way faster.

Yes I’m really happy we don’t have those temperatures here. I’m going back to work tomorrow. And the workshop is like a sauna at those degrees :face_exhaling:

2 Likes

Hi Pertti.

Would it be too much to ask if you could measure the bottom on your lagostina 28 cm pan. I’m thinking of buying one :blush:

Absolutely not too much :). I’m not at home right now, but I do remember the cooktop facing exterior bottom is the same as your 26cm saute pan. Probably the interior cooking surface is similar to yours as well. I think it was like 23,5cm or so. I can recheck tomorrow when I’m back and get back to you.

I still haven’t ordered my 32cm frypan, but I’m pretty much decided on Proline. My Falk 28cm is perfectly sized for my cooktop, so I’ll go for the slightly smaller flat bottomed Proline in 32. I want a bit more heat retention there.

Sound great. Thanks :blush:

I’m sure you’ll enjoy the Proline. I know the difference in size makes them hard to compare. But I can say I really enjoy using my 24 cm Proline pan. Makes a really nice sear. I will say it even sears better then my skepshult cast iron. And the heat retention is not far from either.

1 Like

Hi,

The Lagostina 28 frying pan flat diameter is about 22,5cm and with a bit of that gentle rounding taken into account it’s then approx 23,5cm.

If you decide to buy it, perhaps get the renewed model that comes with pouring lips: 011116040128. I have that model.

This is it on Amazon.de:

The older model seems to also still be available.

1 Like

Hi Pertti.

Thanks a lot for your help. I assume it should work well on my 210 mm induction hub?

I’m not sure if it’s the new or old version I’m looking at. It’s the one in the link🤔

1 Like

The EAN on the page you linked

Is a match here

The pictures on Imerco are of the new model also, so that should be it.

And yes, the pan is good on 21cm induction, thats where I still use it. The pan has about similar dimensions to Proline, but is thicker on the bottom. The 24cm Proline is well sized for your 21cm hob, but I would hesitate on the 28cm as its a bit oversized already, the Lagostina IMO is a much better pick for the larger pan. It does work well guaranteed.

1 Like

That sounds great :muscle:

I will make the purchase. Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

Holy cow, man - you almost have more ECI cast iron than I do !!

I only use my ECI pots for stews and soups, and more in the fall and winter time.

At the moment I own:

Staub ECI
28 cm round pot dark blue
26 cm round pot grenadine
24 cm round pot matte black
16 cm square dish red
28 cm round chistera grenadine
28 cm sqaure grill pan matte black (don’t ask, I never use it…)

Le Creuset ECI
32 cm round roasting pot cerise old model
32 cm round roasting pot flame new model
28 cm round pot cerise

For some odd reason I seem to prefer Staub a tiny bit over Le Creuset, but they’re close performance wise.

We had a guy called Ray here, he’s not active here any longer. He was a HUGE Staub and Le Creuset ECI fan and had a great collection.

I prefer to cook in my copper, non stick and ply pans for my daily cooking and will only use my ECI for certain specific things. Ray almost only cooked in his ECI pots and pans.