Matawan Shanghai Bun

Isn’t that @gcaggiano there in the corner? Figured it must be he’s attended every Ho’down I’m familiar with.

5 Likes

Sorry! :slightly_frowning_face: I didn’t go, instead grabbing quick takeout at our local Sichuan Cottage.

1 Like

I dined in on Saturday! So good to be back, Chinese food isn’t the same when you eat it at home.

3 Likes

We ate at Shanghai Bun today (first time in over two years we’ve had fried dumplings!), and I picked up their new menu. Lots of changes. Prices have gone up 0.50 to 0.75 for most items since the last menu (June 2021), but there are lots of menu deletions as well:

They have dropped breakfast (and breakfast hours) entirely.

They have dropped the following cold dishes (old #s 4,5,7,8) and combined the rest into Dim Sum and Appetizers:
Salty Duck
Beef & Beef Tendon
Wine Chicken
Beef & Jelly Fish

They have dropped the following Dim Sum (old #s 4,6a):
Triple Meat Pot Sticks
Spicy Seafood Wonton

They have added egg roll.

They have dropped the following Noodle Soups (old #s 10, 16, 18, 21):
Seafood Egg Noodle Soup
Duck & Taro Rice Noodle Soup
Pork Foot Rice Noodle Soup
Mix Beef Intestine Rice Noodle Soup

They have dropped the following Specialties (old #s 1,2,13,14,18,20,25,34,37,38):
Hot Pepper, Celery & Dry Bean Curd
Mushroom, Napa & Bean Sheet Curd
Stir Fried Chicken Hot Pot (w. Bones)
Crispy Fried Chicken
Big Bones Hot Pot
Yu Shiang Pork
Tender Leek Beef
Fish Fillets w. Wine Sauce
Red Hot Fish Fillets
Pork w. Hot Pepper & Bamboo

They have added Mustard Green with Fresh Garlic.

There is lots of renumbering, so don’t order by the old numbers. As a result of shortening the authentic menu, they now have a tri-fold menu with authentic dishes on one side and “traditional Chinese restaurant dishes” on the other, instead of two separate sheets.

8 Likes

Had take out last week assortment of dumplings & noodle dishes.
Had a cooler in my trunk so it traveled well.
Still my favorite place but I do like Dim Sum brunch at Crown Palace however I do find Crown Palace’s regular menu uninspired & tasteless.

6 Likes

WOW! Thanks for the great analysis. I’m happy to see our favorites are still on the menu - Spicy Beef Noodle Soup and Seafood Rice Cakes. Luckily these travel well.

1 Like

noooo sad to see the cold meat dishes go. :frowning:

Mushroom, Napa & Bean Sheet Curd

We ordered that from their ubereats page a few days ago. Maybe they haven’t updated their delivery menus?

Looks like no major losses otherwise. Though I did really like their big bone pot.

Have you tried the dim sum at West Lake Steve? Wondering how you feel about the two in comparison. Man I can’t remember the last time I had dim sum.

I have never been to WestLake , I just can’t get over to them.
One day I guess.

Here’s the latest shots of their wall menu(s):

6 Likes

Pork w hot pepper bamboo sounds great!! I wonder what the last thing is.

1 Like

The one in the lower right hand corner on the first picture?
It literally just say water spinach/ ong choy.
It did not specify how they are going cook it but I am assume they just do a stir fry.

2 Likes

Nice! Thanks for the translation! I do like me some water spinach.

1 Like