Matawan Shanghai Bun

The meat loaf is super winter comfort food! It’s more like a meat ball stew I guess? Yeah it’s definitely not the right name for the dish. :slight_smile:

Man with the chill in the air I’m totally craving it now!

1 Like

Variation on Lion’s Head Meatballs?

Patch.com is running a poll on the best local business in Matawan-Aberdeen: https://patch.com/new-jersey/matawan-aberdeen/best-matawan-aberdeen-business-2020-nominate-your-favorite. Feel free to nominate anything, but I nominated Shanghai Bun.

2 Likes

Done. Good idea :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I was going to nominate Pride of the Sea as the best in Matawan but since they closed I also nominated Shanghai Bun. :grin:

6 Likes

oh man, thanks for that one…been a while since I remembered that bundle of joy

2 Likes

Last order from Shanghai Bun was Spicy Wonton, Shredded Beef with Hot Pepper Noodle Soup, and Pork with Hot Pepper and Bamboo. The latter was “meh”–not much flavor beyond spiciness. The rest was good, though.

Several other orders waiting to be picked up–they seem to be hanging in there.

3 Likes

Shanghai Bun has a new menu. They’ve dropped the Ox Tail Rice Noodle Soup, and the Hot & Pepper Pork is now Hot & Pepper Beef.

And not surprisingly, the prices have gone up again, by another fifty cents to a dollar over last year’s, which had gone up from the year before. Still, not as big as the increases at some places.

2 Likes

Have they reopened for dining in the restaurant?

It didn’t look like it. There was one table with a couple of chairs, but it looked more like it was there for people waiting for orders.

I feel like the hot pepper was always hot pepper beef no? I hope they open back up soon. I miss eating in.

Checking my archives, I see that it was Hot & Pepper Beef in 2017, 2019, and 2021, but briefly Hot & Pepper Pork in 2020. I also miss eating in, but since we’re only five minutes away, take-out is not bad (except for fried dumplings, which have to be eaten fresh from the kitchen).

LMAO I love that you have a Shanghai bun archive!! Amazing!

3 Likes

I am happy to report that Shanghai Bun is now open for eating in the restaurant.

6 Likes

Best news of the day.

1 Like

Finally!!

I will be breaking my fast at Shanghai Bun tomorrow night!

6 Likes

Us too! Where better than to break fast!!

2 Likes

So how was the mini-HO Down?

I just takeout there around 11:30 today. No one was eating when I was there and it looks like they are only opening up two-thirds of their tables.

3 Likes