[Mashpee, MA] Cooke's Seafood

This wasn’t a random pick for lunch. Cooke’s was mentioned in a book I bought some years back about New England crab shacks. Now, of course, things can change over the years but we were pleased that Cooke’s stood up to the book’s recommendation.

It’s sort of more restaurant than crab shack (most of which in our experience are takeaway only). Here, you order at the counter and they bring the food to you in the dining room. The manager (?) asked us how places like this differ from British fish & chips places. I suppose it’s really about the amount of choice. Most British places are takeaway only and are likely to only have a limited menu of seafood – cod and haddock, with chips and mushy peas. She also asked if it was still traditional to wrap them in newspaper. It isn’t – the health fascists got to that one years ago. Probably with good reason for once. But it no longer gives meaning to the British phrase “Todays news is tomorrows chip paper”.

As for lunch, there was a lobster BLT for one of us. Classic BLT ingredients, and the lobster, as a toasted sandwich. For the other, one of the lunch specials – battered and fried clam strips. A generous portion topped with onion rings. The plates both came with a choice of two sides – we both went with fries and coleslaw. I reckon we both had chosen well. All very tasty and enjoyable. Good lunch.

3 Likes