Market research, chocolate survey (survey now closed)

Yes, I have seen Theo chocolate in stores. However, I had to google the name and saw the image before I recognized it. Therefore, in the survey, I still put my answer as “Haven’t heard of it”. I figure that if I cannot remember it from the on top of my head, then it does not count as knowing it.

Not sure if I answered correctly. I can go back and change my answer if you like (assuming I can go back)

That’s fine, it’s just a homework exercise. I suppose it would have been helpful to include logos or pics. Oh well, next time :slight_smile:

Well, you can always do “more”. The problem is that there are always more to be done, so it is a never-ending task.

1 Like

Phew - I don’t feel so chocolate illiterate then.

2 Likes

Yes, I always say “chocolate, not just for breakfast any more!” :slight_smile:

I like mine 70-90% dark, depending on origin.

2 Likes

Breakfast of Champions. Accept No Substitutes

3 Likes

I haven’t heard of any. I assumed they were small, local brands. Like if I asked about Lore’s, Bayards, Stutz or Bergins–I wouldn’t expect anyone outside the Philadelphia/South Jersey area to be aware of them.

1 Like

I filled it out, but as someone who has spent a good part of her professional career creating questionnaires and analyzing surveys, I must say that the questionnaire is not well constructed.

Just following up to say thank you to everyone who took a moment to respond, even if it was to say that my survey sucks :wink: I have class tonight so at least I can go in with my homework done and learn a few things like what questions to ask next time. The survey is now closed.

Results from the 35 responses - 70% prefer dark chocolate, most buy based on flavor, and nuts are the most favorite inclusion. I didn’t really expect anyone to have heard of my company, but a few people have (probably because I’ve told you about it!) so that’s nice. A little surprising that most people buy chocolate at the grocery store - well not surprising really, most stores have a pretty good selection of high-end bars these day - I’ve had mixed feelings about trying to get product into grocery stores and this reminds me that a few of the right ones would be good exposure.

I hope I learn a lot from the marketing class. It seems like much of the small business advice is on how to start in a new industry. I’ve been in pastry for a long time and I already know what popular chocolate and dessert flavors and forms are, at this point it’s just a matter of letting people know that I exist and convincing them they should indulge in some chocolate today. You know you want some, lol!

I also hope you all don’t mind if I have more questions, this is a 12 week class and I really do think HOs are the food savvy crowd whose opinions I can trust.

Thanks!
Andrea

3 Likes

Keep them coming, man.

1 Like

Good luck with your class . . . Hopes it works and helps your business.

And believe me, the criticism was meant constructively (I certainly didn’t mean to say your survey sucked :neutral_face:

2 Likes

“Survey no longer open”

1 Like

Too late for the survey. I must say it really depends on which grocery store we are talking about. Even higher end places like Whole Foods carry a very weak selection of chocolate. Other chains like Safeway and Albertsons aren’t any better. The smaller independent grocery store seems to do better.

Then again, putting a $8 bar of artisan chocolate in a grocery store is difficult, since we are just starting to get more knowledgeable as a population about chocolate.

1 Like

I definitely wouldn’t go for Safeway, more the small local chains. I do wonder what kind of turnover they have though. And i know whole foods has a long list of banned ingredients. I don’t put anything strange in my products but I’d have to check if they allow soy lecithin. My homework for this week is to try new ways of selling, so maybe I’ll talk to a few grocers and see what they are looking for. And I’m looking into Amazon Fresh too.

WF is not that strict. They have soy lecithin in a lot of products. Just checked my pantry.

1 Like

They allow carageenan in their organic dairy, so I think they will allow soy lecithin.

1 Like

Sounds like a worthwhile class!

I really didn’t mean to say that your survey sucked; it was just kind of loosely constructed. And if you ever find yourself having to develop another questionnaire, just put out a call (here) and I’ll be happy to help you through it.

2 Likes

You might find it interesting to talk with someone at your local Whole Foods. They have a marketing model that is different from most other chains in that they’re often willing to give local entrepreneurs with new products shelf space with the requirement that they do in-store demos to promote their products.

1 Like