Mardi Gras menu? Fat Tuesday, 3/1/22

Planning ahead. Reading up.
Any menu plans in celebration from your kitchen this year?

3 Likes

Like most people in New Orleans, I’ll be eating fried chicken on Mardi Gras.

4 Likes

Pancakes (or crepes as Americans and the French call them)

It’s what we traditionally eat on Shrove Tuesday.

2 Likes

Here we eat crepes, waffles, beignets and bretzels. Nearly everything sweet.
Usually they are eaten in February, not really exactly on the day of mardi gras.

Some ideas here.

I’ve had made some crepes the other day, with lime custard, limoncello, yuzu butter and some lime zest. Really good!

3 Likes

I was looking up batter for po boys and came upon the Food52 link. There are some easy recipes in that list. I’d rather be there enjoying the local festivities but a small gathering with jazz playing will have to do this time ‘round!

2 Likes

Already had my King Cake for the season, courtesy of Gambino’s Bakery (expensive to ship, but worth it).

3 Likes

You must be experienced in marching downtown in the second line!

We haven’t checked the calendar for the next late Winter coincidence of Chinese New Year and Mardi Gras, the ultimate food celebration or heartburn, depending on how the perfect storm is weathered.

3 Likes

Sounds delicious.

Lucky you!

Great camaraderie amongst players.

Those crepes sound very tasty.

1 Like
2 Likes

https://www.pancakeday.net/the-story

The Olney/Liberal competition. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Leaving the house shortly to pick up our fifth king cake of the season…and that’s only the ones we’ve eaten in our own home :grin:

5 Likes

If I lived in Louisiana, I’d be eating a lot more king cakes too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

When we were in Lafayette in 2016, we did a food tour which included lots of tasting stops. Including the king cake at Poupart’s Bakery. Thought it OK but I’d be in no rush to eat it again.

Poupart’s king cake is oddly not good. Which is weird, because pretty much everything else they make is great.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Apparently, I’m now bringing doughnuts into the office next Tuesday. :wink:

2 Likes

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

4 Likes