March/April opening & closing thread

Thank you for sharing! If you do try, please do report back. We could certainly use more Neopolitan pizza in our region.

1 Like

Jake’s Seafood in Nantasket is open for the season. This makes me ridiculously happy.

2 Likes

I know it’s now May, but it was still April yesterday, when I saw that Rod Dee in Porter Square has a “Closed for Renovations” sign up. Uh oh. Fingers crossed that they do reopen before too long.

Uh oh, indeed.

1 Like

Rod Dee closed in Brookline as well…

Gustavo’s got a great review in the Globe. I wish they would update their website. I hope they will open for lunch/brunch in Cambridge.

1 Like

Globe review of Gustazo Cuban Café in North Cambridge for those who can access it. And @Madrid is right, it is a rave review!

1 Like

I am surprised to hear that! But honestly, I ended up going to the Rod Dee in Coolidge Corner instead because I found they have more ‘specials’ like khao man gai.

The one in Washington Square, Brookline is closed. Is the Coolidge Corner one now called Rod D?

It’s probably mentioned somewhere on the board, but the Waltham Bonchon is fully opened now. A couple of friends and I are planning a KFC crawl between Bonchon and Pho 1 soon. Not far to travel!

Not sure–I moved out of the area late last year

Does Pho 1 have Korean style fried chicken? How is it?

They have both InBoston KFC and their Pho 1 own double-fried chicken with garlic or crazy sauce. For takeout, it’s best to get the sauce on the side and add it at home. I’ve enjoyed both from there, and it will be fun to compare to Bonchon.

4 Likes

I went here a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was pretty solid, but the menu seemed to be a bit more fusion-like than the allston location. They now have wraps with the fried chicken inside. It is also a little more expensive. However, the environment is nicer–interior, plates weren’t melamine, etc. The chicken was solid–we only ordered the garlic soy though. OH–and they only included 1 side with the chicken (choice of the slaw or pickled daikon). We went with the daikon, and it was cut smaller and didn’t have the liquid so it was a bit dry. The 1 side part is actually a pretty big negative for me, ha. Also ordered the onion rings and bibimbap. Onion rings were a miss, and the bibimbap was decent, but they definitely didn’t give enough gochujang-ish sauce (needed 2-3 times more, which we asked for). The sauce itself was pretty good–some type of gochujang mixture. Service was good–I think they are trying hard since the yelp reviews aren’t very good. They still seem to be adjusting in the service area, and definitely room for improvement, but it was adequate this time around.

Overall, I would go to the Allston location if I can since it’s cheaper, and the students are gone. But, if I’m in the area, it’s a decent substitute.

1 Like