Manifest ( Liverpool )

What is it with my home city , eh ?
Loads of places to eat.
Always chocker at the weekend, but how many places that you actually want to eat at ?
Or that feel like they aren’t just coasting along on a wave of over friendly and not that well informed service ? How many interesting places ? Or pleasant rooms to be in ?
Eh ?
Not many, that’s how many.

Well now, happily, we can add Manifest to the list.
We approached with some trepidation as its hard to get in on a weekend and is in a popular part of town ( Baltic Triangle ) where bars and murals rule. So, will it be noisy, will the focus be on the bar ?
Actually, no.
Yes its got the industrial vibe, but its nicely lit, & even if you are sat at the bar/pass its not hectic. It feels like a proper restaurant.
The staff were both knowledgeable, helpful and accommodating ( I don’t drink much but really like to enjoy my one glass of wine and we ended up trying three before I chose one )…and most importantly… the food was really good.
Menu is here

We had the bread and heritage carrots as snacks. Lovely warm bread, good butter ( which hadn’t been messed with in an attempt to make it taste like some thing else - hooray ! ) carrots crunchy and a punchy pesto which went nicely in leftover bread.
For starters my other half had courgette flower and I went for tartare. Mine was good but she got the better of the split - lovely red pepper sauce in particular. For main we both went with halibut as we’d seen it at the pass - and it did not disappoint. Nothing showy or clever - just cooked well, good sauces and the fish the star of the show.
For puddings we went for the apricot/elderflower and strawberries/sweet cicely combos. Both worked really well - especially the strawberries ( a real so that’s what strawberries taste like, now I remember, moment ) and we had an interesting natter with the head chef about how elderflower grows wild all over the city and where to find sweet cicely ( lots of places).
So, all in all, a lovely evening, good food and happy times.
One for your list if over this way.

4 Likes

Noted. Mrs H tells me we are overdue for a trip to Scouseland - she wants to see the Turner exhibition at the Tate - so this might now be stopover.

And, by co-incidence, I’ve just received my weekly newsletter from the Good Food Guide which has added Manifest to the Guide, rating it as “good”.

Oh no, the pressure !
Anywhere else of note added your end or my end or anywhere in between ?

Unfortunately not. I am not a fan of “small plates for sharing” places and every new opening in Manc seems to be one. I’m sure they are very good in themselves but it’s just not our idea of a good night out.

Yes- definitely relieved to see a proper menu at Manifest
They also don’t push a tasting menu either :slight_smile:
Hope you enjoy if you visit

1 Like