Mandi Afandi [Toronto] - delicious Yemeni and Arabian fare

We first tried Mandi Afandi during the pandemic, when we were only doing takeout. I posted about that visit here. Sadly it took us this long to make a repeat visit. We did takeout again as I was heading home from work, but I might want to try it in-person next time as I expect the wonderful whole wheat flatbread would be even better.

The main dishes all feature either chicken or lamb, flavoured with a variety of spices and herbs, and then steam-roasted until they are fall-apart tender. All are usually served over a fragrant bed of basmati rice that is itself richly flavoured with the meat drippings and other unidentifiable ingredients.

We tried different dishes than last time. The Moussaka was not the Greek dish and featured tender eggplant in a tangy tomato and garlic sauce.

Fasolia was a simple and enjoyable white bean stew in a not-quite-the-same tomato sauce.

Madhbi Lamb supposed had lamb grilled on natural lava stone until it was smoky and charred, but it seemed steam-roasted like the other meats. No matter, it was tender, fall-off-the-bone, with the collagen all melted, and garnished with some fried onions.

Madfoon Chicken was a moist half-chicken, with all the nooks and crannies filled with a lovely spice and herb mixture.

With the above largesse (at least 2 meals worth), we also got two cumin-y lentil soups, a garlic yoghurt spread, a garlicky hot sauce, and 2 huge whole-wheat flatbreads.

Although we slightly preferred the Mandi Chicken and the Mathlootha Lamb from our first try, this was still a very enjoyable meal.

3 Likes

Looks great.

1 Like