[Manchester, city centre] Little Yang Sing

The Little Yang Sing is one of the enduring stalwarts of Chinatown. Like the “big” Yang Sing, it’s owned by a member of the Yeung family. And, like most of the enduring stalwarts, its food is rooted in the Cantonese cuisine of the immigrants from Hong Kong. And, like most of the enduring stalwarts, it offers a well priced short menu at lunchtime, albeit one a few quid dearer than its neighbours.

One of the four or five starters is a dim sum selection – sui mai (?), prawn toast, spring roll and the inevitable crispy “seaweed”. It’s a tasty selection which comes with a sweet dipping sauce. My main course was char siu pork with crisp stirfried vegetables – carrot, baby sweetcorn, mangetout and water chestnut. I liked this quite a lot, not least as it was not swimming in sauce and the sauce that was there was quite light yet savoury. Good rice, as you’d rightly expect.

With a drink and added service charge, this was knocking on the door of a £20 lunch. Not cheap but nothing to grumble about.

(PS: I see from my notes that I was last here ten years back, when I vowed never to return, due to some shenanigans over them expecting a tip on top of the service charge. That memory had faded)

2 Likes

So will you go back?

I’m a forgiving sort of bloke so, yes, probably. Although when I’m in town at lunchtime these days, I usually eat at one of the “rice & three” curry cafes in the Northern Quarter. You shouild try one next time you’re in the Rainy City, if you’ve not done so already. A definite Manc experience .