Maine - oxford hills paris norway area

we’re visiting that area for couple of weeks soon. Havent been there is 4 years so wondering is anyone has any recommendations on new or improved places to eat or farmers markets. I know a lot has apparently changed post covid. thanks

1 Like

My sister and BIL have a cabin up near Sunday River. Their go-tos in Bethel are:

Good Food Store in Bethel. Best damn pies (and Whoopie pies!) around; good sandwiches.

Right next door, there’s a BBQ shack called Smokin’ Good BBQ - very good brisket and pulled pork.

I’ve asked her for more recommendations; will update if she provides anything more.

4 Likes

Awesome - TY

Yes whoopie pies in Maine have no comparison to the would be whoopie pies elsewhere :slight_smile:

3 Likes

An update from my sister:

Maurice Restaurant - French restaurant; reservations highly recommended. She hasn’t eaten there but neighbors of theirs liked it. She said “I believe it’s an older crowd. Would not be my first go to but people seem to like it.” Only serve 4-8pm, Wed-Sat.

Waterhouse Talk of the Town is a little burger/ frappe joint totally old school local, yummy food. More of a get the food and head down to Lake Penneseewausee to eat.

290 Maine Street in Norway - Sis said “amazing food, their Bao bun specials are amazing!!!, as are their Cuban sammie, taco specials along with great beer selection and drink specials. It is a fave of mine now. It’s a scene that is local.”

For a “special night out”, she suggests:

Grace Note Inn + Spa in Bethel

Mountain Social Kitchen + Bar in Bethel

The Elizabeth Guest House & Restaurant - Bethel - NOTE - the restaurant is currently closed, per website, while renovating for new outdoor patio. Due to open “late June” - so I’d call on this one.

She also suggested the Millbrook Tavern and Grille at the Bethel Inn.

Finally, last time I was up there visiting with her and my BIL, she and I ate at the bar of the Sunday River Brewing Co. We shared the Coconut Shrimp (typical but good - extra crunchy with a little heat from the Thai chili dipping sauce), and while I forget what she had (Salmon, I believe) I had the Teriyaki steak tips - both very good! Super casual, lots of their own beers (they both don’t drink anymore, so no recommendations there).

Hope that helps! Not exactly all in the area you were looking but still local enough.

3 Likes

That’s really great. We’re very close to Norway and that place sounds great. So appreciate the time and trouble you took

3 Likes

I got nothing in that area, but, if you want to drive another 90 minutes northeast to Winslow, there’s Big G’s sandwiches on Benton Ave!

We’ve stayed in New Gloucester which is ~30 minutes south of Norway (which in Maine terms is “close-by”). We are beer-drinkers, pub/casual people, so Oxbow in Oxford was a must-do for us (our-then 7-year old liked the space to roam). I can’t remember if we made it to Standard Gastropub or Flux, but they were both on our list of possibilities. Enjoy Norway! If you can, please report back. That’s an area of Maine that we enjoyed but don’t get to often enough.

1 Like