Madrid 3 days

Where are you staying? In what neighborhood?

Hotel Sardinero , Chamberí. I stayed there on my last visit.

I walked past that hotel many times last month. The outside is stunning, so stunning that I had to peek inside. Lobby looks fine, but not stunning like the facade.

Great, great location.

Maribel, thank you for AGARIMO. Duck meatballs!

1 Like

@pedropero
Walked by the Sardinero yesterday on my long trek. from Agarimo to the Plaza de España. Had to stop and have coffee in the upstairs lobby, cute place. I remember that you liked your accommodations very much. It´s nicely located between Salesas and Almagro.

Around the corner on Santa Engracia they´’ve opened another hotel with equally stunning architecture, even a bit more stunning, if possible. It’s called the AVANI Alonso Martínez.

1 Like

@piragde,
I forgot to test out your agua del grifo quest and ordered a bottle at Agarimo but then next to us at the counter I noticed that a couple had ordered una jarra de agua del grifo, so next time…!

1 Like

@erica1,
A little bit more about the tear peas or “caviar vegetal” or “oro verde”…

Not only in the Basque Country coast (where they’ve been cultivated for 120 years) and the Catalan Maresme coast of Sant Andreu de Llavaneras and in Teo, Galicia, they’re also now cultivated in Otiñar, Jaén for the Michelin starred chefs there. But in Otiñar they do without the salty taste of the sea breeze.)

The starred chef of Radis even makes a dessert with them and banana ice cream, white chocolate, black pepper and AOVE and serves them raw. They’re calling them “vegetable gummies.

To obtain a kilo of tear peas a harvester needs 12-14 kilos of pods, hence the dear price.
This season they cost 300 euros/kilo directly to restaurants and individuals can pay up to 480/k when available online at Petramora.

2 Likes

I believe I had them at Kaia Kaipe (Getaria) a few years ago. Can’t remember the price but they were expensive, that I know…

Still enjoying this thread, in anticipation of my upcoming stay at the Totem Hotel in Salamanca in May!

2 Likes

Wow! You’re staying at our favorite Salamanca district hotel! Wish we could stay there more often but the rates have gone up considerably.

Yes, I’m sure you enjoyed those tear peas at Kai Kaipe. They’re often served topped with an egg yolk. Are those little bits of Iberian ham?

Ya, the lobby is nothing to write home about but the rooms, at least the one I stayed in, the Tower suite, was spectacular. This time I chose the “Premium Terrace” room which only has one terrace(the suite has 2!!). Excellent location and great value in my opinion.

This was the view from one of the private terrace’s

This is the second terrace, not a great view, but it was well shaded and perfect for escaping the late afternoon heat.

Chips and cava on the front terrace! :heart_eyes:
This was the tower suite.

2 Likes

Looks very nice! What a great splurge!

1 Like

Yes, I believe so, been a while… Glad to hear it’s a nice hotel, will be my first time there. Main reason for choosing was the proximity to some restaurants and markets I’d like to try out! Plus having a cocktail bar in the hotel itself… :slight_smile:

That cocktail bar is excellent; we were just there recently and the breakfasts are great!
And best of all, the Mercado de la Paz is just a block away, with all of its goodies!

2 Likes

It was a belated 60th birthday splurge(not even that expensive compared with other hotels I looked at tbh), well worth it :slight_smile:

@damiano
A new addition to the Mercado de la Paz, coming in May, will be “Triperito”, a little sister to Tripea, the southeast Asian-Peruvian food counter, proclaimed best market stand, in the Mercado de Vallehermoso.
Here the chef, Roberto Martínez, will serve ceviches and tiraditos, 9 platos total in his menu, 4 cold and 5 hot plus a dessert.

I don´t know where this stand will be located in the market, but in 2 weeks, I’ll soon find out.

2 Likes

Edited to add that Triperito will have a communal high table with 12 stools and one needs not reserve.
Open Monday. through Saturday.

1 Like

The star dish of Triperito will be the hot mussel ceviche prepared in a wok. His ingredients will come directly from the La Paz market, mussels, langostines, oysters, salmon, etc. He’ll also feature a croqueta de ají de gallina and chaufa (fried rice) of largarto (rib loin strip) of ibérico Joselito, (one of Spain’s finest Iberian ham brands).

I love Roberto Martínez’s cooking at his Tripea in the Mercado de Vallehermoso, so I’m eager to try his new outpost. Don’t know where it will be located within the market.

This will be the menu-

3 Likes

@Maribel and others, if you were to book Corral de la Moreria and had a choice between the 6:30pm booking and the 9:15 booking which would you choose? What if it were an early morning the next morning- probably up by 6am.

Are you doing the dinner package, or just drinks and the show?

1 Like

The dinner package. The food looks amazing.