Madrid 3 days

You can get to Bar Nestor just when it opens the door to order your slice(s). Hard to understand why they can’t make a second one, but with that tomato salad, it really is a treat. And I thought there were stools at the bar? That’s my memory anyway, but still only a few.

The wife, if she’s still making it, just doesn’t want to make more than two.
Yes, there are (or were) stools at the bar but only a few.
Given the lines in front of the best pintxos bars these days, you should get there plenty early to order your slice.

The lines have been incredible this summer in the Old Quarter and will continue to be during the entire month of September, I imagine.
In fact, Ganbara, once the bar area is filled, doesn’t. admit any more people, or at least they didn’t during Tamborrada. With Gabriella we had to eat our pintxos at her “table 15”, which was out on the street. She ordered from the waitress at the door, and the waitress brought our order to us in the sidewalk, and we propped up our drinks and our pintxos on the stone wall (her “table 15”).

It’s a running joke that you need to book Néstor’s special “table 19”, since it’s the only table.

2 Likes

First time I was ever in San Sebastian, it was end of November. Yeah, it was a bit rainy (as I recall) and foggy on some days, but still mild (compared to New York), and really a great time to visit, IMO. 'Twas my first visit (just before SS) to Barcelona that trip, and I remember being able to have my coffee outside while wearing a t-shirt. I think I wouldn’t visit SS in the summer (or September, I’ve been there during that film festival too, also very packed) again!

Is the Cebada market near Juana La Loca worth visiting?

Yes, it is. On Sundays, the stands give out free samples, degustations from 11 to 5, and it’s very lively.

1 Like

You asked about Tasqueria de Enfrente. I liked it but I believe it is not for everyone…prices are quite high; I can only say it is a “particular” restaurant…probably best if you are a repeat diner but I had a good time as a solo…Maribel can tell you more!

@erica1 That does sound kind of intimidating. I do not speak Spanish but can understand the terms on the menu - have had enough Spanish meals for that. I am clearly non-native let alone a Spanish speaker of any ilk. I have a Saturday night booking…

You say you paid EUR 117. The tasting menu is EUR 100. Would you not have been better off with that?

Mikey,
Do you have a reservation at La Tasquite de Enfrente or La Tasquería, the offal temple?

I have both on separate days - I realise @erica1 made a typo.

The Tasquita de Enfrente one is on a Saturday night

La Tasqueria is another day for lunch

Wow! You have a great lineup!

I hope so. All thanks to you guys.

By the way, does Canadio serve the tortilla for breakfast like La Primera does? I know that La Primera has a breakfast set with the tortilla and a coffee for EUR 5.50.

Also, is there anywhere near Avenida de America that I can get an early lunch at around 11.30? My flight leaves in the afternoon and I was trying to fit in another meal before I go.

I did make an error…I ate at LA TASQUITA DE ENFRENTE. I generally do not like tasting menus; I prefer to order dishes that appeal to me; the main dish I loved was not on the tasting menu and I took the owner’s advice in ordering…I prefer to sometimes pay a bnit more to order dishes I think I will love…pretty sure that any dish at this restaurant will be very well executed…hop[e tpo return to Madrid in March…ay what a difficult task to decide my first week or so, before heading south!

I don´t think that Cañadío serves the tortilla for breakfast at the bar but I’m not sure, and it´s a longer ride from the center unless you´re staying in a hotel on the Avenida de América.
I’ve had the tortilla and coffee breakfast at La Primera, so I would head there.

Depending on where you’re staying on the Avenida de América (the Abba?), for an early lunch at 11:30, which in Madrid would be called an almuerzo (mid-morning snack), you can go to the bar at Cañadío, as by that time. they should have their tortilla available or other dishes. The bar opens at 9:30.
The Santito Café is open all day long and across the street from the Abba.
https://santitomadrid.com

erica,
You´re definitely going to need a week in Madrid, and I’ll be here to join you for a meal so we don´t have to meet at midnight!!

I am at the AC. Canadio is the nearest. I was originally going to be at Aloft on Gran Via and had planned to go to La Primera but unfortunately, I was too slow and it got booked out

Yes, since you’re lodged at the AC, Cañadío is the closest. You can go by sometime at breakfast when they open at 9:30 to see if they have their tortillas out at the bar.

Is Gran Cafe Santander a Canadio establishment?

Canadio tells me I can have an early meal there and that the cheesecake is available from 8 am

Yes. We were there just yesterday. It’s at Alonso Martínez metro
Service is much better at Cañadío.

Taste wise the quality control is pretty much the same? I may not have a choice if I want to dine early.

Yes and it serves the Cañadío groups’ greatest hits.