MacGyverware

These chrome plated metal bars are used to hold down scrolls for Japanese calligraphy. They are also perfect for slicing bagels. Place the bagel on the counter. Put the bar behind the bagel. Place the tip of the bagel knife sideways on the bar and raise/lower the handle until the blade is level. Push the bagel into the knife while sawing back and forth. Nice evenly sliced bagels every time!

I was thinking about this exact thing today! I have frozen croissants and scones I want to slice evenly, I was thinking Iā€™ll try to figure out a way for bagels first, and then go from there. Thanks so much for sharing this.

I have Rubbermaid Servinā€™ Savers which have lids about a half inch deep. It it easy to sandwich a bagel or bun between two lids, then to slice horizontally while applying enough pressure on the top lid to hold things in place. This procedure is also good for halving a bunch of cherry tomatoes or grapes all at once.

1 Like

We had an earlier thread with some good ideas.

I wonder if we should have a sticky that curates all the good ideas. I expect we will always keep winginā€™ it and discovering new useful stuff.

Oops. Sorry I forgot about that earlier thread before posting this new one. Maybe the moderator could merge them?

There was a good idea for a Mason jar dispenser on the AOL homepage. Wash out an empty juice/dairy carton - the kind with the plastic spout. Using the jarā€™s rubber ring as a template,
cut a circle from the flattened carton, including the spout in one quadrant of the circle. Place the cut-out into the jar lid ring, and you can neatly pour powders or liquids from the jar.

I did not know people still had home pages, especially AOL. Cool!

My Stir Crazy/Turbo oven coffee roaster and cooling station.

Note the nylon hose chaff collector