Mac & Cheese for Christmas Dinner?

Only after having a kid,. personally, but I agree it skews Southern/Black. I think I first had it at Friendsgiving.

2 Likes

I enjoyed a very luxurious and tasty lobster mac and cheese at Oceans, New York City. I would want that for christmas dinner!

5 Likes

I make this Paul Prudhomme favorite with Fettuccine/Pappardelle and Parmigiano Reggiano for the best mac & cheese ever. I’d definitely do this for Xmas… Yum!!!

4 Likes

Wasn’t he great? I still have his cookbook. He informed that it was important to use stock and shallots; I didn’t know anything about shallots then.

4 Likes

Yepper’s. Living in L.A. in my younger years, I had a boss that turned me on to a number of great places to eat. One of my favs was “Orleans” which was totally based on Paul’s dishes (dunno what his affiliation with it was).

This is where I discovered blackened redfish, popcorn shrimp/crayfish, étouffée, gumbo, and my all time fav “tasso and oysters pasta”. I immediately bought his Louisiana Kitchen book. Amazing stuff when I can get fresh ingredients (and of course lots of butter)!

4 Likes

I frequently bring Martha’s Perfect Mac and Cheese, with Gruyere, cheddar and nutmeg, to Christmas parties before Xmas.

Gourmet mac and cheese- any favorite cheese combinations?

3 Likes

I’m a fan of mac and cheese at the holidays. I didn’t grow up with it, but as an adult have added it to the list of indulgent things I’m inclined to make for a special dinner. This year we’re planning it for New Year’s, along with fried chicken the first night, and leftovers with ham steaks the second. :yum:

5 Likes

Mac and cheese, why not? Maybe not the neon orange in the box type, but hey, it’s food! Everybody has their ‘traditions’ and some create new ‘memories’ every year.

1 Like

I would say mac and cheese works at any of my family gatherings. The custard version, not the bechamel one.

But I am thinking I will try this cook up rice for Christmas this year.

6 Likes

That looks delicious and I have almost all the ingredients in my house right now! BF is visiting family out of state right now, but I will give this a whirl some time after he gets back. Thanks for this link!

2 Likes

During my first trip to NO as a working professional with money to spend in the early naughts, I went to his restaurant for dinner. The place didn’t look like much but the food was crazy good. That meal is still stuck in my head 20 years later and convinced me that NO as far as I am concerned is the best eating city in America.

3 Likes

Actually, the restaurant I’m referring to was opened around the late 80’s on National Blvd. in West Los Angeles…

and was beautiful…

1 Like

He brought his restaurant to SF one summer; was really difficult to get in but I figured out a way, had crab, one of my best meals ever. His wife and rest of staff came and waited the tables. I still remember them saying if you need anything just ask any one of us.

That’s the right way to run things.

He was such a perfectionist; I just remembered … he thought the sweet potatoes here weren’t good enough so he flew in Beauregard ones from Louisiana. Once I saw that kind in a market, tried them, couldn’t see that they were better.

4 Likes

It won’t allow me to view the recipe.

1 Like

Sorry about that. I don’t usually see gift links for recipes.

Here’s a different one. I haven’t tried either yet.

1 Like

That is so annoying; as if their recipes and articles are so proprietary. Do an online search and the recipe will show up, sometimes with a modified name.

2 Likes

If you google the recipe it should let you see it.
Sometimes. :wink:

I remember this happening before even with the gift link.
Article was free but the recipe wasn’t. :frowning:

1 Like

Do you remember his Jalapeño Cheese Rolls? Yum!!!

Nope. This was all more than 35 years ago; it’s a wonder I remember any of it.