Mac & Cheese for Christmas Dinner?

Is this a regional thing?
I’ve been here for 70+ Christmas dinners and never remember it being served.
Now I see that for some it is a Christmas tradition.
Just wondering.

Not a huge fan of M&C… plus a good mash is a given on Xmas, and M&C is not a good pairing with it.

But hell, this Xmas I’m doin’ Mexican!

2 Likes

Southerners eat all sorts of interesting things during the holidays.

4 Likes

I grew up in the Midwest and have now lived in New England for 45 years. Mac & cheese is never associated with Christmas (or any other holiday, including Thanksgiving). The younger generations in my family began including that slimy green bean casserole at holiday get-togethers after I moved away but not Mac & cheese.

1 Like

Note the article says “we ranked what we think are the best Christmas foods of all time” which means they probably didn’t actually ask anybody. I’ve spent Christmases in Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, and Kansas and never saw mac and cheese on the Christmas table in any of those places, or cornbread either for that matter.

1 Like

I think it’s an African American tradition.

6 Likes

Also mac & cheese for Thanksgiving.

1 Like

I make Cauliflower Cheese for Xmas dinner, Max and Cheese’s cousin.

I totally would eat Mac & Cheese if anyone served it at Xmas. I wouldn’t serve it at mine, because we already have the Cauliflower Cheese, and a Spanakopita that contains Feta. https://www.wisconsincheese.com/recipes/3659/wisconsin-holiday-mac-and-cheese

1 Like

As maybe one of the few people here who grew up south of the mason dixon line, I slowly raise my hand. I also grew up having grits for breakfast. With nothing more on it than a bit of butter.

Fruitcake on the other hand I do not understand.

7 Likes

Not even Trinidadian/ Guyanese black cake or Texan Fruitcake?

I didn’t like fruitcake as a kid. I like it now . Not a fan of citron or candied fruit. I prefer Caribbean blackcake or other dried fruit fruitcake.

I like most mac and cheeses I meet.

2 Likes

It is a thing here in the DC area for many people. Not really for my family (we lean towards potatoes and rice) but my son makes a mean version that appears on the table periodically.

4 Likes

Only after having a kid,. personally, but I agree it skews Southern/Black. I think I first had it at Friendsgiving.

2 Likes

I enjoyed a very luxurious and tasty lobster mac and cheese at Oceans, New York City. I would want that for christmas dinner!

5 Likes

I make this Paul Prudhomme favorite with Fettuccine/Pappardelle and Parmigiano Reggiano for the best mac & cheese ever. I’d definitely do this for Xmas… Yum!!!

4 Likes

Wasn’t he great? I still have his cookbook. He informed that it was important to use stock and shallots; I didn’t know anything about shallots then.

4 Likes

Yepper’s. Living in L.A. in my younger years, I had a boss that turned me on to a number of great places to eat. One of my favs was “Orleans” which was totally based on Paul’s dishes (dunno what his affiliation with it was).

This is where I discovered blackened redfish, popcorn shrimp/crayfish, étouffée, gumbo, and my all time fav “tasso and oysters pasta”. I immediately bought his Louisiana Kitchen book. Amazing stuff when I can get fresh ingredients (and of course lots of butter)!

4 Likes

I frequently bring Martha’s Perfect Mac and Cheese, with Gruyere, cheddar and nutmeg, to Christmas parties before Xmas.

Gourmet mac and cheese- any favorite cheese combinations?

3 Likes

I’m a fan of mac and cheese at the holidays. I didn’t grow up with it, but as an adult have added it to the list of indulgent things I’m inclined to make for a special dinner. This year we’re planning it for New Year’s, along with fried chicken the first night, and leftovers with ham steaks the second. :yum:

5 Likes

Mac and cheese, why not? Maybe not the neon orange in the box type, but hey, it’s food! Everybody has their ‘traditions’ and some create new ‘memories’ every year.

1 Like

I would say mac and cheese works at any of my family gatherings. The custard version, not the bechamel one.

But I am thinking I will try this cook up rice for Christmas this year.

6 Likes