[MA] It's getting warmer (?, well, supposedly)--time for some ice cream

Missing my all time fave, Butter Chip. The Butter Almond is not nearly as good.

1 Like

piccos on tremont street in the south end. the name stands for “pizza ice cream company.” both are excellent. their two sorbets, blood orange raspberry and dark chocolate, are stand outs. as for the pizza, i highly recommend the alsatian.

1 Like

I’d mentioned Christina’s rose flavor above. It’s back, but they are restricting sales in a way that I find objectionable. On Thursday they had it and sold us a pint. Yesterday we were back for more, but were told the owner had decided not to sell pints. We were welcome to buy two three-scoop servings, which added to about a pint, but at almost twice the price. We could not buy a pint at pint-price. There was nothing on the price list saying this. We left. It’s a pity, because two or three pints of Christina’s rose over the season was one of our summer pleasures.

Luckily, although they call it “fresh rose”, the slightly metallic aftertaste suggests rose essence to me (and if they’re actually steeping rose petals one would want to know the pesticide situation), and it’s easy enough to achieve a similar effect with a good vanilla bean ice cream (not the more custardy “french vanilla”) and little rosewater mixed in.

1 Like

This might start a heated debate about a cold subject, but I never know why FoMu is left out of the discussion of ice cream or the best ice cream in Boston. It’s a plant based ice cream and having said that I’m sure many purists are either fuming or rolling their eyes at best. Many of us are either lactose intolerant or just plant based foodies. In any case FoMu has some of the best ice cream in Boston. I’ve taken friends there that were not enthusiastic about going but came away big fans of the product. I’ve only been to the one in Brighton but there’s one in Brookline and in the South End. For those us who avoid dairy products this is nirvana. For all the skeptics, it’s worth a try.

1 Like

I have no problem with plant-based ice cream (ultimately taste is most important) but Fomu simply had horrible taste and mouthfeel - overall for us the worst ice cream we had so far in Boston

1 Like

Well, I guess all taste is personal. I have to disagree but you call it like you see (taste) it. For me and those avoiding dairy FoMu really saves the day.

don’t worry about that, always happy to have input here that goes against the grain. I’ve never tried this place myself, but I’ll try and give it a shot sometime on your rec. thanks.

2 Likes