[MA] It's getting warmer (?, well, supposedly)--time for some ice cream

in theory, it’s spring. temperatures are getting warmer (ha) and as one of the ice cream capitals of the world, Bostonians should be turning their eyes towards chilling desserts.

In recent times, I’ve gone to Lizzy’s Home Made in Waltham, which has a great grapenut ice cream. I also just went on Saturday to the Dairy Freeze in Quincy, which had fairly standard soft serve but is housed in an amazing old style drive in that’s been there since 1960 or so and has a classic sign that endeared itself to me.

Toscanini’s and Christina’s mostly go without saying. (I kind of favor Christina’s). I also have just found a website for a Winter Hill place called Tipping Cow that seems interesting, though I’m not entirely sure they are still extant.

In any case, where do you go for ice cream? High end or low end, we’re getting to the point where all weather to the contrary we may be about ready to eat some freezer treats. Right?

2 Likes

Ice cream capital of the world? Is there such a thing?

well, no. I was trying to be hyperbolic to drum up replies, but you blew my cover!

1 Like

If ice cream also includes Gelato than Morano Gelato is clearly the best ice cream/gelato place in Boston by a hugh margin. We have tried quite a few places but haven’t anything even close in quality

3 Likes

Ice cream should be consumed whenever you want, especially if you want a high intelligence.

6 Likes

Tipping cow is extant however it is unclear to me what their winter hours are. Their ice cream is delightful. We particularly like their strawberry ice cream, which is a rich vanilla with strawberry jam swirled in. Not traditional, but delicious.

Locally we mainly go for Toscanini’s and Christina’s as well, thought Tosci’s new location is a bit farther afield for us. My only beef with Christina’s is that their coolers are not up to par for summer weather and their product comes out too melty at times.

I enjoy the occasional Javaberry swirl from Celebrity on Watertown.

The entire family enjoys the traditional ice cream shop fare at Cabots. There is something to be said for picking an old school half gallon at an old school price, as opposed to picking up a $10 pint at Formaggio, etc.

Morano is great on the rare occasion I am in that area.

IMO there is definitely room/need for more good ice cream in this area.

1 Like

ah, good. need to try this out while I’m nearby. thanks!

I love both Tosci’s and Christina’s, but have been meaning to try Gracie’s, in Union Square (Somerville.) I’ve heard it’s good…has anyone here tried it?

Gracie’s is on a similar level as Toscanini (which I would put in the good but not great category) but better than Christina’s (which is OK)

I found Gracie’s too hip for it’s own good. Flavors did not impress.

1 Like

I have found Gracie’s to be very hit or miss. Some flavors seem to be just vanilla ice cream with some candy smashed in. Also, the base ice cream itself just isn’t great to my palate.

1 Like

I keep wanting to try Rancatore’s (Newton Corner) every time I pass by; has anybody been or have any suggestions on flavors to try?

Had Cabot’s a few times and it was alright; it was good in that old-school sundae with a cherry on top kind of way (cash only). We live close to Abbott’s and are quite fond of it; not many frozen custard places left these days.

Also, the Thai ice cream rolls - pretty to look at but my experience has been meh. I’d rather go for a big bowl of shaved ice with all the fixins if quantity is what I’m looking for.

Rancatore’s is OK - some of their flavors are sometimes taste artifical. Their sorbets and kulfi tend to be good

Second that. So many places that claim to sell “gelato” aren’t delivering anything close. Morano gets the amount of air mixed in right, a key to getting the right mouth feel. What they make in the morning is what they have to sell - when it’s done, that’s all until the next morning. My only quibble is the $$$, but as long as they are the rare place with real gelato, I’ll pay.

Ranc’s has some interesting flavors, well worth a stop. The owner explained to me that once ice cream freezes if can’t get any colder (in response to my question about getting a solidly frozen ice cream cake to travel). He may not understand thermodynamics, but he makes good ice cream.

1 Like

Can’t agree on the kulfi: What passes for kulfi, which ought to be made from reduced milk, in most ice cream shops around Boston is simply some mix of nuts and cardamom (often too much cardamom). That’s true of the Ranc’s version, as well. (Also Toscannini’s.) Years ago, Christina’s offered a genuine kulfi, but they mostly sold it through that chai/snack/grocery store in Arlington associated with Punjab, and only occasionally in-store.

I don’t like most of the ice cream at Ranc’s, but they do have an excellent hot fudge sauce. At Christina’s, their special summer flavors can be quite good, especially rose.

We were big fans of Herrell’s in Harvard Square while they were around (and we always ate in the vault), and we have taken to the distant offspring they have, well, sprung, at Forge in Somerville. The texture of the ice cream there is a bit sticky (they deny that they use any gums), but we like it nevertheless, especially their malted vanilla.

1 Like

The kulfi at Rancs isn’t a “true” kulfi (and they don’t claim it), it is just one of their better flavor combinations.
Forge is good addition but somehow their ice creams seem often have muted flavors

haha, I had kind of forgotten about the vault. I always ate in there too!

huh, I live fairly nearby at present but honestly didn’t even know about this place. I’ll try to check it out and report back.