Lunch out, actually in! [Boston]

Yesterday I hit my personal wall of what’s in the fridge/what can I pick up for lunch. I knew I wanted ideally Tofu Family Style with Vegetables from Taipei Gourmet in East Lexington, but they sadly are closed. I checked the menu at Szechuan’s Dumpling for luncheon specials and there it was. It was 11:30 am. I thought how busy can they be this early ? There was not a soul but me, I asked to sit. I sat picking a table as far from the door as possible. The pre-pandemic lunch buffet is no more. Healthier all around as the owners only put out small amounts of food replenishing as customers ate.

Anyhow, I ordered and chose hot and sour soup over wonton. The waiter brought it to my table. It was piping hot, appropriately spicy and sour. I was not disappointed nor did the lunch plate come out with the soup. An excellent start! Finished my soup and the main attraction arrived with steamed rice. Nice mix of color, flavor and texture in the vegetables. The tofu was cut in an easily edible size with tasty sauce of garlic and ginger. For a reasonable 10.75 I satisfied both my palate and my need to eat hearing conversation from strangers as others arrived for lunch. I happily took my fortune cookie and went on with my day. http://szechuans.weebly.com

10 Likes

Thanks for posting. This place wasn’t on my radar. Been looking for a new place to try.

Parking is tough. Don’t order extra spicy unless you want it deadly spicy.

1 Like

@sciaccagirl This is in my neighborhood. I used to be a big fan but I think there was a change in ownership in the last year or so and my last visit was not as good as it used to be. My parents would look forward to meals here when they visited us. Perhaps they are back on their game? In any case I am so glad you had a good meal. And thanks for reporting back. Perhaps SD should go back in our rotation.

1 Like

Parking can be tough at that intersection, but if people are willing to walk a bit, you can always find spots along Mass Ave.

I believe you’re correct re: change in ownership. One thing I noticed is a new menu with Chinese only listings inside the front cover. Always feel like I’m missing something when I find that. Interested to hear what potential future experiences people share.
Appreciate Peter’s spicy warning. Likewise parking available if you walk along Mass Ave as you commented, just not directly in front of the restaurant.

2 Likes

We had 4 kids and 1 other parent over today to hang out and I thought it might be nice to do something other than pizza. I ordered a bunch of stuff from Szechuan’s Dumpling and it was all fine, if a bit average (I was trying to order conservatively to appease the kids). I should’ve stuck with pizza as 3 of the kids had never had dumplings (!) and barely ate.

Got pork+chive and pork+veggie dumplings (both steamed), pork bun (kids did not like the filling), chicken lo mein, veggie fried rice, sautéed string beans. Best of the bunch was the tofu and broccoli and the Szechuan fish fillet. It was VERY busy in there at 1 pm today.

Here are some bad photos.

6 Likes

My god! You have done a service to these poor deprived children.

6 Likes

I would have been thrilled with your choices. These poor children have been deprived. Same old, same old pizza and I love good pizza!

1 Like