Lunch for (est) 24, 5yo to 80

None. Adults are easy, not demanding nor requiring that i knock myself out. They just want to come…

1 Like

I’d love the panna cotta recipe @naf!

2 Likes

CREAMY VANILLA WITH ORANGE COULIS
François BENOT

CREMEUXVANILLCOULISORAN

Ingredients for 4 persons

• 1 vanilla pod
  • 250 g of liquid cream
  • The juice of 4 oranges
  • 8 coffee beans
  • 40 g caster sugar
  • 2 sheets of gelatin 2g

Preparation

• Soak 2 sheets of gelatin in cold water.

• Split 1 vanilla pod in 2 lengthwise, using a knife, gently scrape the inside for small seeds.

• Stir 250 g of liquid cream at 40 °C in a saucepan. Then add 40 g caster sugar, mix with a whisk, then the small seeds and the vanilla pod. Squeeze the gelatin sheets and drain them well, add them to the cream, then pass this preparation through a colander.

• Garnish 8 small pots or coffee cups with this creamy vanilla, cover them with a cling film, and store at least 2 hours in the refrigerator. It is possible to prepare them the day before.

• Simmer the juice of 4 oranges in a saucepan, add 8 beans of coffee, and let reduce 30 minutes over low heat to obtain a syrupy juice. Then let the orange coulis cool to room temperature.

• Before serving these creamy vanilla, gently pour in each small pot a small tablespoon of orange sauce, to complete the presentation, pour the coulis in the center of the pots taking care to stop before it spread on the edges. Then add 1 small bean of coffee in the center of each pot.

• Serve 2 creamy vanilla with orange coulis per person.

I usually serve big meal, so a light refreshing but tangy dessert to end is always appreciated. The recipe mentioned 2 tiny expresso cups for each person, I usually use small dessert glasses and 4 of them, 1 per person.

6 Likes

I’d repeat last year’s menu, it sounds terrific! And you know it was both appreciated and doable. Leave out the green pasta since that didn’t fly. Love the idea of guests bringing the desserts.

3 Likes

Think it might be nice to bake a large fresh beef brisket. Low and slow will make it fork tender. Perhaps a pan of lasagne, with a nice big salad and garlic bread. In place of the brisket, you could marinate a couple flank steaks, which are always good to feed a crowd. Oh and macaroni & cheese as mentioned above is always popular. Good luck whatever you decide on!

1 Like

All of this works. I usually supply a couple of NYT 18hour bread and big slab of butter. Calms the savage beasts of all ages!

Love the brisket idea. Have never done one but this method works so well on many tough cuts.

Am getting inspired.

2 Likes

Mini hamburger and hot dog bar for the kidlings, with topping, but keep it simple, with homemade or chef adjusted canned baked beans and oven roasted fries.
Big cold green salad with lot of “picados” olives, roasted peppers, bruschetta, cheese, salami, sliced cold beef, cherry tomato, grilled asparagus, canned beats, artichokes, toothpicks , crusty bread.
Try and ethnic approach to change it up but do not completely abandon last years success as suggested up stream: ie pork shoulder / taco / bar.
Then again add in some chicken or eggplant parm. Keep the poached side of salmon, or do shrimp laden pasta.
Keep it familiar.
Have a mini family cocktail party to start. Do Shirley Temple cocktails for the kids, Martini bar for the big kids!

1 Like

I like to keep it simple for parties like this and make 99.999% ahead. Big batches of pulled pork in the slow cooker with buns and sides of creamy coleslaw are always hits. You can go full southern on it too. Mac and cheese are always crowd pleasers. Baked beans (either canned or homemade if you are feeling bold). Ok fine. I’ll come! haha!!!

4 Likes

I am thinking crowd pleasers.

How about grilled blackened chicken breast and Cajun-spiced and grilled/smoked side of salmon, served up with baked cavatappi Alfredo, brown-butter haricots, and a big green salad with Caesar dressing? Brownie sundaes with hot fudge and peanuts for dessert.

ETA: you could do something fun like gougeres for an easy but impressive nibble with drinks. Maybe French 75s?

4 Likes

I’LL come to THAT party! But it’s a lot more effort than I’m putting into this one. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, the die is cast, or, depending on your point of view, the fat’s in the fire. I just emailed the invitation to 13 people, which add up to 28 guests.

But first I enlisted Michael, a veritable angel who works for a catering co. but moonlights when available. He is personable, amenable, blends into the woodwork, is the invisible hand that supplies the right glass, fork or plate at the crucial moment, seemingly anticipating every impending disaster. His additional vocation is acting, so he seamlessly fills whatever role becomes necessary. Needless to say, I checked his availability before that of any guest! I may be insane but my priorities are right.

10 Likes

Good luck!

re nibbles, last year Dorie Greenspan’s faux Cheez-Its were are great success
http://traceysculinaryadventures.com/2011/12/cheez-it-ish-crackers.html
as was retro Rumaki Paté served with baguette slices.
http://www.recipesource.com/munchies/appetizers/rumaki-pate1.html

FWIW, these are both easy and tremendously well received every time i serve them.

2 Likes

Michael sounds like a treasure, don’t blame you at all for checking with him before setting the date for your party!

2 Likes

Sunday: lunch for 22. I was pretty laid back because I’d been there before, then Sateurday I was hit with some kind of food disagreement that laid me low. Felt like i eaten a dozen “Chore Girl” curly wire dish scrubbers. Drank water all night. Was a dishrag this morning. Seriously wondered how it would all happen. Just as DH said to call our son and ask him to come over early, he walked in the door. Michael arrived an hour later.

Living room nibbles: Ruffles
Brie surrounded by apple slices
Herb and Garlic goat cheese with black pepper crackers
Artichoke bruschetta with baguette slices
Wines, coke, La Croix, sparkling water.

Followed by
Two humongous pork shoulders, seasoned and tied, put in 250 oven at 6pm last night, a cup of veal stock and same of white wine. Not touched during the night. Removed at 6am this morning. (Son had requested pork belly and I had planned to do two, until I saw the size of the shoulders the butcher had set aside for us. Perhaps T-Rex!!!)
Baked penne with Rao’s marinara sauce, crumbs and Parmesan
Baked mac and cheese. I had planned to make a baked artichoke pasta but decided it was the wrong crowd and that I was doubling up on artichoke since it was also an appetizer. The mac and cheese was devoured to the last noodle.
Green salad
18-hour bread, also devoured.

Three guests brought 4 spectacular pies.

Guests were all my mother’s descendants. One child, three grandchildren, five great grandchildren, six great, great-grandchildren, spouses and SOs.

A very nice and appreciated afternoon…and done with the least amount of effort possible.

4 Likes

All sounds so good! Get any pics?

So regret that I didn’t. I guess the fact that there were multiple iphones in the group, everyone was having such an involved time that it never occurred to us.

1 Like