9 Likes

Shrimp and andouille gumbo again, but with potato salad

11 Likes

Toast Skagen with mentaiko on dark rye

9 Likes

Fabulous, quite the decadent lunch.

Well done, sir.

1 Like

Again, one of the great dilemmas in life continues to confound me.

One hot dog is never quite enough, but two is just a bit too much.

Capture.PNG

11 Likes

Leftovers are always good for snacks.

I don’t disagree.

But somewhere “leftover hotdogs” just has a weird ring to it.

Mango shaved ice, with condensed milk, and a scoop of red bean ice cream to, you know, just to gild the lily.

7 Likes

Takeout sushi and dessert from various grocery stores in Brisbane Australia.

8 Likes

Pretty good price for the sushi! Have you tried a Tim Tam slam yet?

1 Like

I have not. It looks fun.

1 Like

Tortilla Española. A new one for me. Why, oh why, did it take until now to make this? This one is going to be a regular.

11 Likes

Quesabirria

5 Likes

Mushroom and St. Andre brie on toasted English muffins. Gave me a chance to use up the mushrooms from earlier this week.

9 Likes

Shrimp and sausage gumbo again, with rice.

4 Likes

I just made this! Just! We are taking it on picnic dinner tonight for music in the park, with some gazpacho and melon. Only when I cut it open, I saw that the top and bottom have a very thin egg layer that seems to have not integrated with the potatoes/onions, and is just sitting on top. Did this happen with yours too? I used Kenji’s recipe and method.

1 Like

What a great dish for a picnic! I still haven’t made gazpacho, but that would be a perfect accompaniment. The recipe I used is from Omar Allibhoy’s Tapas Revolution. It is similar, but is more gentle with the eggs getting mixed with the potatoes. I didn’t leave it for half an hour to meld before cooking, as he suggests and didn’t use quite as much oil. The eggs and potatoes seemed to come together fairly well. Since I’m a tortilla newbie, I may just give the Kenji version a go and see what happens.

I’ll try it again too and see if a different temp might work better, or even frankly less pan shaking. He says to pan shake, but now that I think about it, that would encourage the liquid to all go to the bottom and the chunks to float up. Also, I could not use my spatula to make a puck shape, as he instructed. Once the thing was somewhat set on the bottom, it wasn’t moving in for a more compact circle. All that was possible was to flip the taller sides up and over, which again - in retrospect - seems the type of movement that will encourage egg and chunk separation. At least the family ate it!

If you want to try a simpler method, try José Andrés’s version with potato chips:
https://www.seriouseats.com/salt-and-vinegar-spanish-tortilla-recipe

1 Like