Lunch 2022

I had never heard of yuvetsi, so I looked it up. We have guests coming for lunch on Thursday, and that’s what they’ll be getting.

1 Like

I make it “in the style of”, but don’t follow a recipe. I always get a bone-in shoulder for this dish. The oven does all the cooking for me. Prefer barley and wheat berries but sometimes I also use round pasta.

7 Likes

We use lamb shanks from our share. Sofa king good, and one of the few leftover meals I like two days in a row :slight_smile:

I could see that, especially in a spring-y dish with sweet peas or green asparagus. I don’t hate it as much as @Presunto, but I prefer my pasta to be bigger or longer.

“that’s what.”
-she

1 Like

Trying to use up the seared tuna from the other night. Also, first tomatoes of the season! (From the store… I do miss my pandemic tomato farm… but not enough to do it again!)

Arugula dressed with the tuna dipping sauce (soy, honey, sesame oil, rice vinegar, ginger), lemon juice, and olive oil. Topped with avocado, heirloom tomato, and seared tuna. A bit of furikake sprinkled over everything.

10 Likes

I’ve steamed (though I don’t know that Kenji invented that….) occasionally.

At the moment this is what I do: : bring 1” of water to a boil, turn down to a simmer and add eggs, cover and time. (Yesterday i wanted set but soft, so I did 8 mins, today I wanted a soft (“jammy”) yolk so I stopped at 7).

The other method I use (when I have more time) is to add the eggs once the water comes to a boil, cover, and then turn off the heat. The timing is longer for this version, but I like the energy savings.

In all cases, I never bother with ice water (I almost never have ice at hand). I stop cooking a minute before the “recipe” time and cover with cold tap water.

8 Likes

If you get the result you’re looking for, that’s all that counts.

1 Like

So, I recently discovered that my mom boils eggs without any sort of timing. Somehow always turns out right. Including soft-boiled eggs for dad, and hard boiled eggs for everyone else.

How she does it only on instinct - I have absolutely no idea.

Likely decades of experience, including experience cooking by andaaz (=mental estimation). When developed, it’s a superpower.

Burrata with olive oil, preserved lemon, fennel seeds and sorrel at a local hipster place. I’d never thought of adding preserved lemon to burrata, but now I will! Really good combination of flavors :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Spam onigirazu. I made this one with cheese, but I think it’s much better without. I also honestly prefer folded kimbap to onigirazu. One layer of rice, more topping, tidier and easier to wrap all just works better for me even though I love rice.

11 Likes

I keep a jar of preserved lemon that is puréed with olive oil and plus herbs to suit you…a little paprika is nice. Good in many applications from salad dressings, tuna…you name it. A little dollop gives a nice hint of lemon.

2 Likes

Lemon is one of my favorite ingredients to use — I love zest for many dishes, too. I think zest would work in a pinch to recreate that dish, but your purée sounds heavenly :star_struck:

1 Like

Speaking of orzo, I made a batch of pumpkin orzo risotto with the purée I had in the freezer. Along with some kebabs that I froze last time and leftover sauces from tacos arabes, it made for an easy lunch.

7 Likes

Today’s lunch was a composed salad of lettuce from the terrace, topped with tomatoes, red onion, chervil, mint; a lemony vinaigrette was the dressing for all.
Shrimp were sautéed with garlic, paprika, and a little white wine at the finish. Shrimp and sauce were poured over the salad…croutons added some crunch. A sliver of apricot strawberry tart and espresso for dessert, got no complaints :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

12 Likes

A sushi stack of sorts, with arugula salad.

Sushi stack was seasoned quinoa+rice, avocado, and seared tuna. Drizzle of soy-ginger-wasabi sauce.

10 Likes

Delicious looking!

1 Like

Fried rice with shrimp and lap cheong

12 Likes

Delicious-looking fried rice!:yum:

1 Like

Mighty fine!

1 Like