Luby's Cafeteria - Houston

Quit causing the Astros to fail but it’s only ten games in and nobody’s hitting but this club will hit.

I watched King of the Hill for at least ten years before I figured out the LuAnn Platter reference and I saw it on Wiki.

What does that say about me?

Don’t answer.

I saw a real life version of Bobby Hill at my place of business a couple of years ago, the kid was a dead ringer.

1 Like

Ok here it is my long anticipated and much clamored for review of the Luby’s fried fish from MY HEB.

I started with some blue box Kraft mac and cheese perfectly cooked and timed from MY HEB.

MY HEB was virtually out of the fish yesterday but I got some anyway.

What did it taste like?

There are two methods of preparation, baked or fried. I chose baked, and remember I have some Luby’s tartar sauce.

Ok, so how did it taste?

I’m getting there but anyway, anyhow I give it a solid four out of five. The flavor is there my only complaint is the crust isn’t crispy but frying will change that, maybe next time.

The fish is a definite keeper especially at about half the price of the cafeteria just hoping MY HEB can keep it in stock.

2 Likes

I was thinking it would need a fry up.

1 Like

I wound up at Luby’s this past week. A friend needed witnesses for some documents related to property sales in another state and he offered to take us to Luby’s for the favor.

I was surprised when I walked in to find it looked like ----- a cafeteria! I had only been once since the Pappas Bros took over and I remember they had ‘food stations’ instead of a cafeteria line.

When I got to the entrees, I went for the baked fish. Yes, I’ve kept my mouth shut all this time but I realized some time ago that my favorite was actually the baked fish, not the fried (square) fish. They had taken that off the menu the only time I went; I guess they brought it back. Or something resembling it.

I was not pleased. Didn’t taste like I remembered it and the texture of the fish was a little questionable. I wouldn’t order it again unless it looked a lot better on the line.

The roasted new potatoes and cucumbers were good. The cornbread with corn and peppers, maybe some cheese, looked fantastic but was dry and perhaps old. I got about a half cup of tartar sauce :yum:. I didn’t ask for it - maybe the server saw me eying it longingly, wondering if I was going to get some with the baked fish which already has a topping. I was grateful for that. It didn’t help the fish so I ate it as a side. I took abt. 2/3rd of the cornbread home but wound up tossing about half that amount - warming it up and adding a generous amount of butter didn’t help. I took a little of the fish home, too, but wound up tossing it in a couple of days.

Overall though, it was a better experience than I expected. I’ve been down on Luby’s for years because I didn’t like the Pappas changes but I’ll probably be back.

Now as to the square fish - I found the frozen product to be too much breading vs. fish. I tried both baking and frying and frying is definitely better (I over–cooked both portions that I fried). I may try it in-house some day. I know I’ve had it before and didn’t find it bad, just liked the baked fish better. But that may change.

They need to bottle that tartar sauce.

1 Like

I still haven’t made the square fish, but last weekend I heated up that jalapeno mac n cheese. It was really good and cheesy. It was a LOT spicier than I expected with both green and red jalapenos in it. Glad I didn’t save any for the grand toddlers. There would have been hysteria all around the table.

But for a craving of creamy mac n cheese, I’d definitely recommend it!

1 Like

I bought some fish from the 34th Street location and we just finished off a half a hunk leftover and it was delicious.

1 Like