Lowell MA

Appliance shopping for an upcoming kitchen reno took us through Lowell yesterday.
Tasty Dumplings for lunch, pork & crab and pork & chive soup dumplings and the pork & cabbage pot stickers. Yum as always, pretty busy at lunch. The patio is open for outside dining.

While I settled the bill and collected the car, DH walked down Market St to the paint store to grab a sample or two. I parked right in front of the store and he never came out. I finally went in and he was no where to be seen. And then there he was, right outside the little shop next door.
Ma Cuisine is a little French market with all kinds of treats. He came out with a selection of cheese and a bit of terrine.

I love Lowell. One one street -Tasty Dumplings, Ma Cuisine, Sophia’s Greek Pantry, heading home we passed The Purple Carrot, Mill City BBQ, 1981 Ramen Bar, and I think 3 Thai places. And that’s just on a couple of the main roads. So much to explore.
Any favorites to share?

9 Likes

Wow, I need to go to there! Especially since our beloved Mill City Cheesemongers is no more.

Your photos above include my two fave items at Tasty Dumpling: their crab and pork soup dumplings and their pork and kimchi dumplings (potsticker type). I think it might be the combo of the kimchi juices with the pork that leaks outside of the dumpling to form that lacy texture? Outstanding.

2 Likes

Also worth noting that Padma Lakshmi visits Simply Khmer in Lowell in the current series of “Taste the Nation” (Hulu). I haven’t watched yet but the episode is called “On the Tip of my Kreung.”

P.S. And I was excited to see a sign for Simply Khmer go up on a restaurant space in Chelmsford—looks like they are opening a second location in addition to their original in Lowell. Last time I drove by they weren’t open in the new space yet. Time for me to check again. Then I will have zero excuse for never having gotten to Simply Khmer before now.

6 Likes

Hong Cuc, on Grand Street, is justifiably renowned for its banh mi sandwiches. The line is often long, but it moves expeditiously and allows time to peruse the contents of the shelves and coolers.

Food Shines, on Pawtucket Blvd, has a combination of Nepalese, Chinese, and Italian-American favorites. Mostly takeout, in a college area. The mo-mo dumplings have a choice of fillings and sauces. I order both the tikka masala and saag sauces, then mix the two together. I have ordered delivery, never have been there in person.

3 Likes

Another popular Cambodian restaurant is Red Rose on Middlesex St. I’m also a fan of Senmonorom near the Rourke bridge.

2 Likes

Sound great.

1 Like

One more Lowell recommendation: Saigon Sandwich House. https://www.saigonsandwichhouse.com/

3 Likes

What menu choices do you recommend?

The bahn mi are quite good. The vermicelli dishes as well.

2 Likes