[Los Cristianos, Tenerife} Qapaq

The only previous time we’ve eaten at a Peruvian restaurant was in a small town in New England. With Tenerife’s historical connections to South America, it wasn’t as much a surprise to find one here on the edge of Los Cristianos at its “border with Las Americas. But, from voices I heard, most customers were locals rather than North European tourists.

The menu is well conceived and is basically divided into two parts – dishes that are 100% Peruvian and dishes that are more Spanish but with Peruvian influences. One of us went with the former and the other with the latter, for no other reason than it was just what we fancied to eat.

But there was a freebie to start – a chunk of octopus wrapped in filo pastry and deep fried. Nice.

Ceviche came from the 100% Peruvian section. Cubes of white fish cured in lime juice flavoured with red onion, coriander and fiercely hot slices of chilli. Cubes of sweet potato softened it and crispy corn kernels gave texture contrast. That was followed by lomo saltado. Think of it as Peru’s answer to a beef stir-fry. It is a traditional dish but one influenced by Chinese immigration to the country. So, tender strips of beef, just cooked through with peppers and onions in a savoury sauce. It comes with rice and is all really good.

Across the table, beef put in another appearance. This time in classic Spanish croquettes. They sit on a Huancaina sauce – creamy cheese sauce spiked with Peruvian chilli. That was followed by two fillets of local white fish simply fried. Also on the plate, a toasted quinoa salad and some mixed veg.

These had all been generous portions and we’d no room for dessert.

Thoroughly recommended particularly if you are looking for somewhere a bit different from the more touristy offerings in the main resort areas.

9 Likes

No fries (or chunks of fried potatoes in some versions) in the lomo saltado ?

Yes. Four or five chunks of fried/roast potato. Thanks for the reminder.

I I think I remember the version I had in MA had fries and, with the rice, made it a very carb heavy meal.

Yes, lomo saltado is a tasty but carb-heavy dish