Looking forward to family brunch at Toloache, UES...

My family has booked a table at Toloache on E. 82nd for a birthday, Father’s Day brunch in mid-June. We enjoyed the Mexican/Latin food there a couple of years ago. Anyone been lately?

Yes, excellent!!

It was a wonderful and flavorful gathering. We were 6 including my 8 year old granddaughter. We arrived at reservation time, greeted warmly and seated in the comfortable rear dining room. The multi-sectioned restaurant is pretty with its understated Mexican/Latin décor.
We started with a round of colorful cocktails. I requested my Bloody Mary extra spicy, to which they happily complied. We ordered from the brunch menu. Warmed Chips served with a smooth delightful salsa, herbed bean dip, and two styles of Guacamole, one tradicional, the other Frutas, Medium spiced: avocado, pomegranate, Vidalia onion, mango, apple, habanero, with a dose of Thai basil. It was delicious! Left a nice little burn on the back of the tongue. The house gave us plenty of time to chat while munching on our first courses.
For mains we ordered a variety of Quesadillas and Tacos including: de Pollo, Beef Short Rib, Beef Brisket, and Shrimp. The flavors made your palate bounce! Each was served with rice and beans. (Next time, I might consider the dried grasshopper.)
For dessert: house made cinnamon Churros served with chocolate and cajeta dipping sauces; Pastel de Chocolate; fresh Apple Tart with vanilla cream; and an incredible Coconut Ice Cream. Our sweet tooth was universally satisfied.
Our thanks to the staff and Chef Juan Medna for being so patient with us. We will be back…

1 Like