Looking for a lunch spot - Portsmouth, NH

Yum! Any pics of this? :slight_smile:

unfortunately no. they got scarfed down too quickly. next time.

Thanks, Harters. Unfortunately, we did not get to Portsmouth this trip. We did have lunch in Kittery at Roberts which was excellent. The seafood is so fresh as is everything there. DH had a dozen oysters. I had a salad (yep, I’m a salad chick at lunch!). I will be posting about some of the places we went in Maine once I wake up a bit!

3 Likes

Met a friend for lunch today at Robert’s in Kittery. She had and loved the haddock reuben, I had the fish and chips which I didn’t love as much, I think maybe I don’t like beer batter, it was a bit claggy, but the fish inside was pristine and wonderful. The lobster cobb salad at the next table looked amazing and was huge – our waitress told us you can get a half size that has the same amount of lobster but half the other stuff. I have had a grilled romaine salad there in the past, I know they do a great job with salads.

1 Like

So I’m not alone! I find beer batter a bit heavy and overwhelming, but I’m definitely in the minority. I love a nice thin coating, although my efforts at home to reproduce it have not been great. We had a starter of fish tacos at Ritcey East in Watertown, and it was exactly the texture and flavor that I’m looking for. I need to head back for the fish sandwich soon.

1 Like

That settles it then. Haddock Reuben for lunch.

Now, I don’t claim any expertise in fish & chips, except having eaten a lot of it over my 67 years. And coming from the region which invented it - the first documented reference to it being sold dates to 1863 in the town of Mossley (about 20 miles from me). Beer batter is a relatively recent cheffy development which you won’t find in traditional fish & chip shops. A waste of good beer to us northerners. I’ve no real opinion as to whether it’s an improvement or not. The key is a thin batter, fried quickly so it crisps quickly.

2 Likes