Look back in hunger: Reykjavik (pics)

My “first taste” of Iceland, in pictures.

Open in full screen

11 Likes

Wonderful slide show. Thank you for posting!

Thank you, RedJim! I ate and did all the things I wanted to. Hope I can make it back in the future because there’s still more to eat and natural wonders to see. Reykjavik is extremely touristy, guess it’s not expensive enough. It’s an easy trip from Brussels, or most places in northern Europe.

The fermented shark is no big deal. So many people have to say so much about it. What the internet should STFU is when it comes to the Icelandic hot dog, which is totally rubbish!

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the slide show. Iceland should hire you to promote their food.

So do you like it? How is it tastes like? (I didn’t go to search the net yet.)

Do you have idea how the Iceland people do with the sheep’s head?

The fermented shark has a spongy texture and a strong smell. You wash it down with booze. I wouldn’t enjoy eating it in large quantities but I’m glad I tried it.

I ate sheep’s head in Albania so I didn’t need to eat it again in Reykjavik. I think the method of cooking it is different than in Iceland, and also, they eat the brain. They eat it using their bare hands.

There’s Wiki entry about eating sheep’s head in Iceland. Check it out, it’s not long.

Is it salty? What do they use for the fermentation?

Indeed the Vikings, bold indeed.

From the wiki: “At the “Fljótt og Gott” (“Fast and Good”) caféteria at the BSÍ bus terminal in Reykjavík, it is available daily,[3] and can be bought at the drive-thru counter.[4] The café sells about 10,000 sheep’s heads a year, according to its chef.[5]”

Looks like a common and popular dish, in France they still eat brain, though not common. They have tête de veau etc, but it’s nothing like taking the head and eating the skull directly with the eye balls!

Wow…you have a great eye for capturing the moment…food pics are lovely too!

Will be headed to Reykjavik in the next couple months…
The article char, langoustine soup looks delicious…
Not doing the shark tho…
I want a Puffin to take home…
So dang cute.

BTW, where are you based?
I like how well traveled you are…how many languages do you speak?

I don’t remember it being salty. This site says how it’s made. It’s just buried for many weeks.

They also eat sheep’s head in Faroe Islands. Probably Greenland also.

Thanks, Aloha.
I’m at the far reaches of north western Europe :slight_smile:
Speak 2 daily. Can understand 3 more at various levels, and also speak them only if absolutely necessary. My reading material is in several languages and that confuses some people (mostly in my travels). I like German language and you see that in my photos.

The partner is multilingual, who as a child attended a school for children with exceptional IQ. Can even write simplified Chinese beautifully. Not bad for a northern European specimen.

If you eat meat make sure you try Icelandic lamb. Arctic char is a nice change from salmon or trout. I ate lamb every day (my lodging has an extremely simple kitchen).

Some of the places I went to: Seabaron, 3 Frakkar, Verbúð.

1 Like

What are the Skyr products?

What’s the base in the white-ish fish soup?

Curious how cormorant, puffin and guillemot taste like…

What’s great about the food there is there seems to be quite a bit of food relatively unique to the island, perhaps because of the relative isolated location until recently.

That church…

Sky is a dairy product. It’s not yoghurt. Introduced to Iceland by the Norwegians over a thousand years ago. Icelanders eat it at any time. They just freaking love it.

Fish soup base is milk or cream, depending on the cook.

Seabirds taste mildly gamey.

Yes, foods unique to Iceland are not so easy to find in most countries I think simply because it’s too expensive. Also, they don’t mass produce most things. It’s expensive to import.

The guide on the tour to see waterfalls, geisers ect says tourism has exploded in recent years. So much that there is not enough lodging for the tourists. These days everywhere you look you see hotels being constructed.

Forgot to mention the hot water comes out of the tap is very smelly. It comes straight out of the ground via pipes to homes. I like the smell but I hear most tourists hate it. About 87% of homes and buildings in Iceland is being heated by geothermal power. The guide says the only 2 things that are cheap in Iceland are water and power.

The church, so intensely ugly. I don’t go in churches but sometimes I have to so I can go up to the viewing deck to make photos.

1 Like

Can’t imagine they can with only 300k people!