London restaurant report

My husband and I spent 2 days in London in late September, and thanks to my extensive research, we ate extremely well.

Before I get to the restaurants, I want to mention the wonderful hotel where we stayed, the Thistle Holborn, aka The Kingsley. Perfectly situated at Bloomsbury Way and Museum Street, it afforded the option of walking to many places of interest, as well as a bus stop from which we were able to get almost anywhere. The cost for 2 nights was about $550, which is a bargain by London standards. The building is nicely done, we had a large, quiet room with a large bathroom, a combination heating/ air conditioning unit (perfect as the fluctuating temperatures made both useful).

Restaurants:

Portland, Great Portland St.

This was perfect for lunch on the day we arrived. The 49 GBP 3-course menu is a bargain for the quality of the food. The menu had changed slightly from the one posted in the window. We ordered the following:

Sweetbreads

Sea bass with apple, celery and tarragon

Braised pork shoulder

Roast lamb

Apple and greengage (plum) pie

Peach parfait

With 2 glasses each of a rose from the Basque region of Spain, the bill totaled 153 GBP including a 12.5% service charge.

The Ivy, West Street

The menu offers a lot of choice and is not terribly expensive. Stanley started with a dressed crab, and I with a crispy duck salad. Main courses were salmon and roasted monkfish, both very nicely prepared. Wines are prices but I found a very good Cotes du Rhone for 45 GBP.

Service was very professional and the atmosphere is lively. Even though they charge for bread (without informing you beforehand) and add a cover charge and 12.5% service charge, the total came to 156 GBP, really not bad at all.

The next day we visited Kew Gardens and Hampton Court Palace. Directly across from the entrance to Hampton Court is The Mute Swan, a dining pub that has a very good reputation.

The Mute Swan, East Molesey

The menu is interesting. We shared an appetizer that was just added that day, crispy pig cheeks with mashed potatoes, roasted garlic, broccoli rabe and a brown sauce. I then had hake with a hollandaise sauce, beets and mashed potatoes, and Stanley had fish and chips both excellent . We shared a dessert, a tiramisu, coffee and pistachio mousse, and a bottle of rose from Provence. Everything was delicious and the bill, including service, was only 105 GBP.

Rules, Maiden Lane

Rules is famous for being London’s oldest restaurant. It is also arguably one of the best. The room is stunning and seating is very comfortable.

We started with a crab salad and potted shrimp, then moved on to grouse and guinea fowl. Both were extraordinary, especially the grouse. We chose the cheapest bottle of wine, a Cotes du Rhone, always a reliable choice, for 43 GBP.

For dessert, I had sticky toffee pudding, and Stanley had summer pudding. Both were perfectly executed versions of classic English desserts. The bill, including service, was 192 GBP, and worth every penny.

There’s much more about our time in London, with photos, on my blog:

https://robertrems.com/

8 Likes

Delicious sounding report.

1 Like

Absolutely love London, and your dining experiences made me miss it more. Great report!

1 Like

Rules remains my favourite restaurant in the capital. My sort of food done my sort of way.

I’d not heard of the Mute Swan but see from the link that it’s part of the Brunning & Price chain, of which I’m a longtime fan. . They started here in the northwest and built up to 15 or so pubs before selling out to The Restaurant Group which owns several national chains, like Wagamama, Chiquito and Frankie & Bennies. B & P has now expanded quite significantly, bringing in a couple of small failing pub chains . I’ve not been to one of their pubs outside the northwest and North Wales but assume that, elsewhere, they’ve kept their rustic furnishing style and straightforward “Modern British” menu. What I like is that, although there is obviously oversight of the menu from the centre, and some common dishes, individual chefs develop their own menu, often using some local produce. For example, when my local one offers a cheese & onion pie, then it will most probably use Cheshire cheese in it. And it’ll be local beer that goes in the batter for the fish and chips.

5 Likes