[London] Maria's Market Cafe at Borough Market

how sad for him. for me, breakfast is just that - breaking my fast. i don’t actually care what you give me for breakfast as long as it’s not sugary (for the most part) and is tasty and has protein.

Yeah Vasanta Bhavan is open from 7am, I meet friends to discuss work there sometimes on a Friday. Otherwise Saravana Bhavan is open from 9. Thattukada / Anjappar are open from 11am which is a bit later but still acceptable brunch time I guess.

I really wish somewhere did Congee though - I thought Hung’s in Chinatown did but they stop serving food at 4am :frowning:

FYI

1 Like

You totally should! I use the neat trick described here to get it done in 20 minutes.

Ooh, thanks for this. I haven’t been to Vasanta Bhavan for years and hadn’t realised they’d started opening earlier.

The Croydon Saravanaa Bhavan doesn’t open until 10:30am, which is a bit annoying. (They did try opening from 9 when they first moved in, but it didn’t work out for some reason.) Spiceland on London Road theoretically opens at 9 with a limited selection of the menu (that does include idli). In reality they don’t exactly put themselves out to open on time, though they’ve usually managed it by 9:30.

1 Like

Good to know. East Ham is a bit of a trek and I don’t work in the area anymore. Do you or @ShekhaV know of any South Asian place in Tooting that opens for breakfast (i.e before 10)?

Whoa this has changed my life! Would a pressure cooker do the same thing dyu think?

Apparetnly dosa n chutney opens at 10 and chennai dosa (which i don’t rate but anyway) opens at 10:30

1 Like

I rate the dosa at Chennai Dosa above Dosa 'n Chutney (in tooting branches, anyway!)

Great tip Kake, I will definitely give this a go.

(I also can’t help noticing the topic has drifted slightly!)

1 Like

I don’t have a pressure cooker and indeed haven’t used one for decades, so I’m not sure, sorry! (I keep thinking I should get one, but I never get around to it.)

I don’t, sorry — they all seem to open at 10 at the earliest.

On the subject of congee, I have just been reminded that Sunrise in Romford does Filipino congee (arroz caldo) from 8:30am (here’s my writeup from a few months ago), but I guess Romford is a bit out of the way for most people.

2 Likes

i have it on my list to visit romford market. now i have a double excuse!

same!

Finally made it for a Vasanta Bhavan breakfast last month. It’s definitely a good option, close to the station. Idli & chutneys £3.75, masala tea £1.50.

Imgur

As noted in passing in my August roundup, the East Ham Chennai Dosa is also open at breakfast time — from 8am every day, including a breakfast buffet.

2 Likes

Oh, my. What a wonderful read!