[London] HO-/Chow-down Thurs 6/22

@Harters, I’ll be in London 20-23 June. Any chance of you, or any other HOers in town, to catch up?

It’s a quick visit as I shall be in Cardiff the weekend before for the finals of BBC Wales’ best opera singer of the world. From the BBC Wales website:
“One of the finalists, soprano Anush Hovhannisyan, will premiere an extract from an unfinished opera by Franz Liszt which had lain forgotten in a German archive for nearly two centuries before being revived by Cambridge lecturer David Trippett.”

I am in Cardiff to catch that unfinished opera bit. Wished I could have stayed longer, but work commitments back in Singapore (and an impending assignment in Hong Kong) meant I need to get home rather quickly.

Hey Peter, fingers crossed I should be around. It would be good to catch up while you are in town, it’s been a while!

Dean

1 Like

Dean! Good to hear from you! What about Limster? You can write to me at pyklyeoh@gmail.com

Peter

It’s a tricky week, I’m afraid, but may be possible. Carry on making the plans and I’ll see if I can slot into it.

John

1 Like

Cool. Will keep you informed :slight_smile:

It’s funny that you’ll be in London then because I’ll be in KL on those days. Obviously no chance of a meet up now. I seem to keep missing you. Hopefully next time.

1 Like

Oh no!

I’ll be in the UK from 15-25 June, actually. I’ll be in Cardiff initially, and only going to London on 19 June.

Dean - just talked to Limster, and he’s good to catch up on that week as well. Let me organise a Hungry Onion chowmeet.

I still remember the fun ones we used to hold over at the other site. Here are some:

Bombay Brasserie - Nov 2012

Lahori Nihari - Apr 2013

Min Jiang - May 2013

Crystal China - Jan 2015

We’ll keep all the Hungry Onioners updated on our upcoming meet in June 2017.

Great, sounds like a plan.

Ahh the chowdown memories!

Dean - I’m meeting up with Limster back in London on Monday evening - I’ll see if we can plan/organise a Chowmeet on Thursday - short notice as I had been pretty busy (and Limster had been away - back in the US, only returning to London on Monday morning). Else, we can also touch bases with you directly.

My Wed & Fri evenings are already taken up, unfortunately - Wed: attending the launch of an exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery, and Friday, catching up with fellow Singaporeans (London-based foodies whom I know from Makansutra, Singapore’s street food guide). I think if you’re interested, you can join our Friday dinner at the old Chinatown stalwart, New Mayflower.

Peter

Next week has become impossible, I’m afraid - we retirees are soooo busy. Maybe your next trip?

John

1 Like

No plans for another trip yet this year, but never say never :smiley:

Thursday sounds good Peter. Let us know what you have in mind, and hopefully some others from the board can join us too!

Dean

1 Like

I’ll get Limster to suggest when I see him Monday evening.

Peter,

Looks like it’s not a good time for me. It’s our anniversary, and we plan to take a few days to go roaming somewhere. I’m sorry you hit town during this heatwave!

It doesn’t sound as if you’ll be lacking in people to dine with. :slight_smile:

June

1 Like

Sorry to miss you this time, June. But you did mention before that you’ll be going somewhere. Happy anniversary!

I’d been hoping to be able to come along, but unfortunately I have to work late on Thursday. Another time!

1 Like

You’ll be missed, Kake - along with zuriga and Harters.

But I’m looking forward to catching up with quite a few old friends from the CH days :slight_smile:

When will you be visiting the USA (east coast) … hint hint!!!

Wished I have the time & opportunity to do it!

1 Like