[London] February 2018 London roundup

hi. a follow up. we went to umana yana. it’s the best roti i’ve had while in london but wouldn’t tempt me back. it’s just not amazing enough. we agreed that 'his 'mum could cook better and umana yana doesn’t do dalpourri - just a plain one with the dhal. i made the mistake of telling the owner that ‘he’ was also guyanese and wow - she didn’t shut up for 15-20 mins reminiscing about ‘home’ and all the while our stomachs were growling. if you go, skip the promising crawfish fritters - they had only a speck of crawfish in there. and keep on top of your order - she’s scattered all over the place :slight_smile: oh, yes we had the goat roti, while i craved chicken and aubergine (said to not have been ready). we also had a glass of pleasantly bitter mawby. so go by all means and you may really enjoy it - we just have an excellent home experience that has spoiled us.

2 Likes

Thanks for reporting back. A shame that it wasn’t amazing enough for a repeat visit. I’ve got no benchmark so I may give it a go.

1 Like

Let me know what you think, Chris!

I wasn’t quite sure where to put this, but figured it might as well go in the thread where we’re discussing roti. I went back to GT Flavazs (mentioned in my March roundup) for a roti, partly because last time I was there I discussed Roti Masters with the owner and he, like @calam1ty, insisted that Guyanese roti is better than Trinidadian.

Long story short, I was disappointed. The roti itself was plain, not dhal puri, and the texture of the bread was stodgy and greasy, unlike the ones at Roti Masters. It also wasn’t flexible enough to actually wrap around the curry mutton without breaking (the latter was provided separately in a plastic tub, and was fine per se).

I plan to give Umana Yana a go, but Roti Masters is still the current winner for me.

Roti Masters is not bad, but I do think Roti Joupa in Clapham is a step up. Especially their doubles. They are stunning.

1 Like

maybe i should give RM another try. i do remember they had dhal puri and that’s a good thing. there’s a couple of ladies making trini roti by st augustine’s tower in hackney, where i love, and the curry is pretty good but again they don’t make dhal puri even though they advertise that they do. we enjoyed it.
Dean, i’m hardly ever in clapham but will keep it in mind for the next time i find myself headed that way.

Just to report that Roti Masters in Croydon has closed due to redevelopment of the entire block. Though apparently it has a branch at St Nicholas Shopping Centre in Sutton (SM1 1AY), which remains open.