Logging out?

Has anyone else been having issues with getting frequently logged out lately? Only noticed it in the last few days, here.

Not with this particular forum, but I had that issue with another forum. I switched over to Firefox (as my browser) and that fixed it.

Happens to me a few times a week. I just log in again, NBD.

1 Like

The forum software doesn’t log users out after any predetermined time period. But if your browser has an incognito / privacy mode where they delete browsing history after each session or after certain number of hours/ days, then you will have to log back in regularly.

For example, I never have to log in unless I delete my browsing history.

1 Like

Not in my case.

1 Like

I’ve never been logged out (using Chrome). Come to think of it, I’m not sure I even remember my password for this site :confused:

I am logged out very randomly and I never clear my browser history. But chrome luckily remembers my password or I’d be in the same boat as you.

2 Likes

It me.

1 Like

Maybe the system is trying to tell you something?

Happens to me a few times a week .

there is definitely something amiss somewhere in Codingland . . .
I use Firefox, keep it up to date, delete all cookies and “site data” / “cache” every weekend.

but, , , suddenly . . . various sites are causing Firefox crashes, doing really weird stuff, etc. etc. etc.
sites I routinely visit . . .
so

• either Firefox has put out a faulty update
    or
  • new features have been added to the coding language that browsers do not yet recognize.

ain’t all this new AI stuff great?

some changes are totally crippling - one news site now demands you enter your email to read almost any article - they’re suppose to send “instructions” to your email - which never appear in your email . . .

1 Like

Yeah, it’s not a big deal because mine is saved in my browser too, but was just curious because nothing has changed in my browsing habits.

1 Like

Try reloading also. Occasionally, the site looks logged out but reloading logs me right back in.

Yes, happens on Firefox every time I switch to another screen. Glad it isn’t just me.

I wonder if this might be a Firefox issue and not a HO-specific one. I often get logged out of the Boston Globe or the NYT while using Firefox to read them rather than the apps.

I’m going to try using Safari for the next few weeks for all 3 websites and see if I can replicate the issue.

Yeah I’m not sure about incognito/private being the cause. I do run incognito and my experience of it is that it just seems pretty random. I’ll be logged in for 10+ days, then I’ll get logged out 2 days in a row. Then I’ll go a week or more again.

Not that I really find it to be a bother. This version of Discourse permits me a short name and non-complex password. Others require upper/lower, at least 10, at least one numeral and at least one “speshul” character…

Note that Incognito mode deletes any cookies installed when Chrome is quit.

I don’t think that’s the issue either, I don’t run HO on incognito, and I’m still getting it on a weirdly intermittent basis.

Have you tried logging out, deleting your HO cookies, and logging in again?

Right. But I’m getting logged out (those times when it happens) even despite having a continuously open chrome tab for HO.

1 Like