Lodge Classic vs Blacklock?

Ok good to know thanks for reporting back.

LOL. It was more a recommendation than an admonition.
What Lodge says is that “you can use a small amount of soap”, not that you should. Clearly using a little soap will not totally ruin your seasoning (at the worst, you might have to re-season more often). My point though is that soap is not necessary. After deglazing with a small amount of water, a brush (or a chainmail scrubber) under running warm water should be enough to get rid of any baked-on bits in no time. And one doesn’t have to worry about bacteria as they can’t survive the high temp of a searing pan.
Dry promptly, oil lightly and enjoy your new skillet !

:heavy_check_mark:

+1. It’s really the same with woks. As we say in winemaking, hygeine, not sterilization.

Kaleo,
I didn’t know you were a winemaker. Please tell us more! :star_struck:

I’m out of it now. For several years, I made about 50 cases a year. I did a Bordeaux blend and single varietals on odd-numbered years, and Supertuscans and Italian single varietals on even-numbered years. Did well enough in competitions to feed my garagiste delusions of grandeur.

You know the way to make a fortune in the wine business? Start with two!

Count me dully and very impressed!
Certainly hope you didn’t lose a fortune in the game!
I reckon from the annual alternating between French and Italian that you sourced your grapes from outside grape-growers and didn’t grow grapes yourselves. Is that correct?
How many of the 50 cases did you keep for yourselves each year?

No, no viticulure here. I have a friend in the fruit business, and he hooked me up with a big grower for some very large wineries. The best part was getting all the chemistry done free.

You can use a chop stick to clean between the ridges. It actually works really well if you heat the pan with water until hot to help release the gunk, then run the chopstick down the ridges and clean the rest of the pan like you normally would.

1 Like