Local versions of Momofuku's compost cookie

Momofuku’s compost cookie is a tasty mix of random sweet and salty stuff such as potato chips, pretzels, butterscotch, etc. A version of the recipe, minus freeze dried corn, was published in the LA Times.

Who locally makes a version of such a treat? One place I know of is Awaken Cafe in downtown Oakland, who gets them from Little Ladybug Bakery. This type of cookie is variable by its nature, and the one I ate was a delicious and well-rounded cookie, but not as salty as Momofuku’s compost cookie. Anyone else?

La Farine on College Avenue in Oakland has the Jezebel cookie which is an approximation of what you describe. It has dried fruit and nuts that are a little salty. In any event it is a great, hearty cookie.

(marci thompson) #3

Not altogether local, but Patisserie Angelica out of Sebastopol makes (and ships) their crazy-good Sonoma cookie. Hi, chocolatetartguy!!

Libby Jane, Brenda’s next-door coffee shop, makes a “Stoner Cookie.” This cookie is akin to the compost cookie in the sweet and salty department; it contains potato chips, M&Ms, pretzels, Butterfinger, Cracker Jacks, Froot Loops, and Malt Liquor. It sounds derivative of the compost cookie, but I shall not judge it until I try it.