Local Smoke coming to Red Bank

Good BBQ…I used to compete against them alot in KCBS they know what they are doing

http://www.redbankgreen.com/2016/01/red-bank-local-smoke-bbq-plans-opening/#respond

They are nice folks. I hope this works as RB is close to my home in middletown. I am craving some of those jalapenos :smile:

That is a tough parking lot but I wish them well. I will definitely spread the word. I find it interesting that Surf BBQ and Local Smoke are both coming to town…should be interesting. LS is legit. We will see how Surf does.

I wish I could be excited about this, but… During our sole visit to the Neptune location in 2013, we shared a platter of pulled pork, sliced beef brisket, and ribs. I found all of them disappointing.

My Blog
My Flickr

Surf will have booze though.

Yeah, I don’t think LS is particularly great, but their presence will fill a gap in the RB culinary scene.

I do like JSBBQ but local smoke gets the job done in my eyes. As Z man said, there isn’t anything like it in RB.

I am hoping surf bbq isn’t mediocre and overpriced.

Whatever would make you think that ?? :smirk:

Vic Rallo?

I can assure you it won’t be a bargain. 100% guaranteed. I just hope it is tasty. it would cool if they had some different “regional renditions” of certain meats but i doubt it.

It is hard enough to put out consistent bbq using one approach and one wood type/blend

Actually, it’s really not. Or, I should say more accurately, that’s not really true any longer. Since the advent and wide dissemination of electric and propane smokers, making good barbecue is fundamentally no more difficult than heating up a TV dinner. The mystery and magic of the pit, which once were necessary and fostered beliefs like yours, no longer play the essential part in preparing the meats that they once did - an axe and timing can be replaced with an apron and timer.

The true secret to offering good barbecue in a restaurant setting lies in the ability to serve freshly cooked meats. Ideally, one accomplishes this through consistent turnover. The best places know this, and are able to approach things accordingly - it’s better to sell out today, than reheat tomorrow. You want to serve meat while it still retains some heat from the grill, not just that from the steamer or microwave. Sadly, since the demand for barbecue in this area is only a pretty recent thing, and new restaurants have to learn the nuances of their locations, customer preferences, etc. while trying to make money, the offerings can be incredibly hit or miss for eaters on any given day.

Now, as much as I have come to appreciate the different, regional “styles” of barbecue, I’d rather not see joints trying to put out diverse menus. The more different things they try to do, the more likely that less of each sells. That means that a cook is either going to have to toss each nights leftover Texas-style brisket, or still be reheating slabs cooked on Monday morning for Wednesday’s dinner. A more wise approach, and one we see somewhat frequently in successful restaurants, is to stick with a very simple rub (salt, pepper, chile, sugar, sorta thing), and offer three or four regional sauces.

In light of all this, I’ll add the following to the general discussion herein: I’m sure I’ll try LS long before I try Rallo’s latest ATM. Those guys do have more experience with the juggling act - and can trace their product to the days when we still embraced the alchemy. Besides, it’s a lot closer to the train station - and that’s an unquantifiable bonus after the sixth beer.