Lo carb w/o daily meat?

I used to be super afraid of carbs when I was younger. Sadly, that fear caused a pretty awful eating disorder at the time, which I’m still recovering from.

I found this article about the writer’s attempt to go low carb while eating less meat - I Tried A Pegan Diet For 3 Weeks (yes, the name of the diet is cringeworthy.).

I think it is an interesting read for those who want to pursue this type of diet (I’m more of a calories in/calories out type, but we all boil at different degrees, right?). However, I think this quote from the article is important for any eating habits change: “Remember that these are not scientifically-based diets. That’s the big difference between the DASH diet the Mediterranean diet—they were designed around research. Right now, until we get more data and research, most of it is taking a little bit of science but wrapping it up in someone’s opinion or beliefs based on their own health.”

3 Likes

i am unsure why people think low-carb means LOTS OF MEAT. you’re supposed to eat a “normal” serving of protein but loads of veggies and since protein is the most sating of the macro-food groups, it’s supposed to be a self-limiting way to eat. there’s also over a century’s worth of research into eating lc. it’s not “new.”

the current american concept of the mediterranean diet being mostly nuts, seeds and whole grains, as well as somehow being lowish fat, is trash. it’s not science – it’s a meaningless catch-all phrase atp.

1 Like

Curious, are any of you using diet trackers other than MyFitnessPal, Noom and/or LoseIt?

Not exactly. Different low-carb plans limit carbs at various levels, but most recommend no more than 50g of carbohydrate daily. Many draw the line at 20g daily for optimal weight loss. 20g of carbs from vegetables is a smallish salad and a cup or so of broccoli or other non-starchy veg - definitely not a ton of vegetables. You also have to count the small amount of carbs in cheese/dairy and eggs, as well as the larger amount in nuts/seeds, if you consume them.

This doesn’t mean you HAVE to eat lots of meat, but because it is the only carb-free source of calories, most low-carbers do end up eating more meat than they did previously, simply to assuage hunger without consuming carbs. Fat actually provides far more satiety than protein, but since most people don’t enjoy eating pure fat on its own, larger servings of meat are a more palatable way of getting to satiety from a quantity perspective. It is more self-limiting than eating carbs, but people new to low-carb often find themselves starving and “fail” at the diet because they cut out carbs but continue to eat “normal” servings of meat (with low-fat meat being a particular culprit).

1 Like

I don’t use a “diet” tracker, but for about 4 or 5 years I’ve been using one for diabetes prevention called Omada.

1 Like

I decided to sign up for Noom today. I’ve been using MyFitnessPal for 11 years, and used Livestrong’s MyPlate and online WW (WW briefly, maybe 12 months) before that.

There’s a Diabetes prevention thing called MyIntervent in Canada, that I found out about yesterday. https://www.myintervent.com/lmc

2 Likes

Please keep us posted. I’ve almost signed up several times, but haven’t quite gotten to pulling the trigger

1 Like

Ok, will let you know. So far, Day 1, it’s more of coaching approach.

1 Like

In the Omada program there was also a lot of coaching, group support from your cohort, and your scale and fit bit sent daily updates.

1 Like

I forgot to say best wishes!

1 Like

I tried Omada and found it to be completely devoid of interaction other than text messages several times a day from the coach with inane questions that had nothing to do with the program (enough that I had to unsubscribe because it was constant and an interruption)

Glad it worked for someone.

2 Likes

i did atkins for a long time, which is what the bros call keto now. 20 gms of carbs (or 50) has been net carbs for decades (carbs minus fiber) and is only for the 1st 2 weeks of the program – during which you are supposed to be consuming lots of leafy greens and such – to help with satiety.

an entire head of lettuce has only 10 carbs so crushing your daily intake with a salad isn’t that easy.

lc plans consistently call for a 4-6 oz portion of protein at each meal, as protein- not fat- is the most sating macro. if people choose to eat a ribeye for breakfast and a package of bacon for lunch? that’s on them and not the plans. at all.

as for the op? you certainly don’t need protein at every meal – as long as you are consuming enough over the course of a week or so.

2 Likes

Best of luck! My wife did Noom several years ago, and I went along to be supportive, dropping from 190 to 150 and a 38" waist to a 34" waist (5’10" tall) along the way. Although my wife is no longer officially on Noom, the lessons and eating approach have definitely stuck. It seems like a very balanced and sensible approach. Also, probably ten years ago I read a book called Younger Next Year, and I gained a much better understanding of how my body uses different foods. While most people simplify the matter of weight loss as calories out, that really is an oversimplification. Under different types of a exertion or activity your body draws on different energy sources. It also stores simple carbs differently.

We are still very much into good food, and our ability to enjoy pretty much whatever we like is undiminished, but we are far better at balance and portion control. We also finding ourselves wanting to eat more complex carbs (whole grains and vegetables) and enjoying them more. In a few minutes I’ll make our favorite breakfast toast made with a whole wheat bread full of walnuts, flax seeds, and sunflower seeds topped with avocado, harissa, a squeeze of lemon, and Maldon salt. I am glad to share greater detail if anyone is interested in this approach.

6 Likes

Nice to hear it worked for your wife!

1 Like

That’s encouraging!

I refuse to start a new diet until after my holiday next month but I’ll return to this when I get home

2 Likes

Me too!

Not true.

Heavy cream, most hard cheeses, oil, animal fat, butter, etc. are all essentially carb-free sources of calories.

Yes, but as I mentioned in the next sentence of my post, most people do not find pure fat palatable, making it difficult to eat those foods in large enough quantities to achieve satiety. “Fat bombs” became a hot keto trend a few years back but even then, low carb (but not no carb) ingredients like cocoa powder, nut butters, artificial sweeteners, etc are added to make the fat more enjoyable.

It all depends on your goals. What do you want to give up carbs for? If your goal is to lose weight, you can try interval fasting without giving up carbs. If your goal is health, you can’t do it without protein. Protein is an important building block. Fish/seafood/eggs might help.