Little Szechuan [Little Silver, NJ]

Great little article …

Are you familiar with Little Szechuan?

Got takeout last night and it was as good as ever, just very basic order nothing too fancy. So glad they are back. When I picked up the food they had about 20 to go orders waiting to be picked up, so it looks like they are doing some volume as well

There is a place in St Paul named Xiao Szechuan where I ate frequently. The food was good depending on what was ordered. Their Dan Dan noodle and cold spicy noodle were outstanding. I’d go there just for the latter.

I’ve gotta tell you their closure forced me to order from House of Chong for good Chinese food. Well honestly there are a couple items I like better at HOC vs LS, and vice versa. So my orders to LS are half what they were pre-pandemic.

WE tried HOC once during the closing and while we enjoyed most of the items there were a cpl we didn’t care for so much tbh. Also, given how much closer LS is def makes it more convenient for us. Def among the better options though locally.

My beach day went later than expected so instead of a House of Chong dine In becomes a Little Szechuan pick up.

I admit I’ve been critical of them since reopening post-pandemic and my first two experience were sadly not up to par. Well I’m glad to report everything was great!!
Ribs (bone in the only way for me), Szechuan won-ton, moo-shu chicken, everything fried rice and a perfectly fried egg roll! All delicious!!!

Story continues on the Nicholas Creamery thread.

6 Likes

Have gone a cpl times recently and have really enjoyed it. We just get basic stuff but it’s all really well done. Also just found out you can make speedster order of the fried noodles
And duck sauce which has been a great find.

1 Like

Sad news indeed………I passed there Friday night and noticed they were closed, assumed covid related. Good luck to the new owners I sure hope the quality remains the same, that’s a big fortune cookie to fill!!

2 Likes

And since I brought this up I passed them tonight and they (new owners?) are open for business. Still take out only from what I could tell.

I will be trying soon, maybe this week.

2 Likes

Very curious to hear how they hold up now. Was by far our fav spot for Chinese locally.
Wising I. Had ordered a cpl more times recently

2 Likes

From this APP article:

Known as “Little Szech” to locals, the restaurant’s new owner is Ming He, the president of Little Szechuan Go Go, Inc., who is not affiliated with the former restaurant or the Lee Family.

The restaurant will feature a similar menu and the same name, but will not have the same recipes. Little Szechuan is open and has been busy, He said. As agreed upon with the Lee family, He will honor formerly purchased restaurant gift cards through Dec. 30, 2022.

1 Like

Little Szechuan in Little Silver NJ sold, owners retire after 40 years (app.com)

1 Like

Fan mail here:

3 Likes

Very happy to report it was “business as usual” with the new owners. Ordered a fairly normal order of small ribs (no sauce) egg roll- pork fried rice - chicken and broccoli- shrimp and beef in garlic sauce. Normal “American Chinese “ food in the same tradition and quality as before. Good luck to new owners thank you for not reinventing the fortune cookie!!

11 Likes

So damned happy to hear this!!!

3 Likes

Anyone been since @NotJrvedivici posted? Thinking of ordering tonight. Curious if it’s still holding up?

Funny…someone just posted about it on NextDoor earlier today! “The new owners just reopened the dining room and we really enjoyed the food. Fresh, hot and delicious. You won’t be disappointed.” A few other people have chimed in that they’ve ordered or been there and they said it was great.

1 Like

Awesome to hear. Thank you! Guess I know where I’m going

1 Like

Placed usual order and have to say, was not thrilled with our food. Found it very bland and greasy to some extent, but not in a good way. No extra duck sauce despite several requests for it, large white rice was def a small. Sadly think we’ll be moving on to find a new local spot