" Little Spain, Hudson Yard, NYC " - Tourist trap or worthy destination for foodie?!

I came across this ’ interesting ’ spot whilst performing some food-related research for my upcoming ‘Big Apple food crawl’. The reputation of the creators and developers/owners of this place…Jose Andres and the Adria brothers of El Bulli fame rendered this place a potential and intriguing foodie-destination to visit and/or eat. Am I wrong? ( We are planning to do the High Point, Chelsea Market, Hudson Yard, Little Island…walk around )
If not?!.. any recommendations and/or must eat and must buy at this place? Due to its location, is pricing more elevated than most other places? Thx in advance!

I haven’t been to Little Spain, Hudson Yards.
……

I find the Chelsea Market to be a tourist trap. I know some people here like it. Some of the gourmet shops at Chelsea Market have outposts elsewhere, or sell their products at other stores.

1 Like

I think I mentioned it over on your other trip thread. It’s set up as a high end food court as well as a couple of restaurants.

Food is good, but not always consistent. It’s fun and buzzy at peak times, and very well located at the top end of the High Line and right in the new Hudson Yards complex.

Worth a stop if it’s on the way, but temper your expectations re Adria brothers etc. Lots of other good to great Spanish food to be had in the city, per the comments on your main trip thread.

3 Likes

Went this weekend and pier 57 was much more interesting than Chelsea market and little Spain. I admit some of that is probably the novelty, Chelsea market and Little Spain have been around for a while now, but it’s next door to little island anyway (great view of little island from the roof of pier 57) so if you’re in the area, it’s worth poking your head in. It’ll turn into a zoo soon, I’m sure.

4 Likes

I really like the breakfast at Spanish Diner (part of Little Spain), and I’ve had pretty stellar cod at (I think) La Barra. It would be a good stop if you’re visiting the High Line anyway, but I wouldn’t make a special trip.

2 Likes

Chelsea Market is popular with NYC natives and tourists alike, tho I haven’t experienced it to be nearly as much of a total f’n zoo as Eataly. Yikes.

If you go, try not to go on a weekend or prime lunch time. The tacos there are fantastic, as is the seafood place. Great cheesemonger selling domestic cheeses, too. The food choices there are endless, and you can walk/work up an appetite for Hudson Yards on the High Line if you’re doing it all in one day :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Eh as a New Yorker and a foodie I think Chelsea market is a pass.

2 Likes

As an only occasional visitor to your lovely city I thoroughly enjoy many things on offer there.

People still describe themselves as “foodies?”

3 Likes

Really? I’m a big fan of Cull & Pistol and The Lobster Place, the wine store is great, as is Buon Italia. And I have a hard time walking by there without getting either a fish taco or Very Fresh Noodles. I don’t like the crowds, but I know what I’m after, so I don’t need to wander aimlessly getting bumped into.

6 Likes

My PIC is a huge fan of Seed & Mill (thankfully, one can order their halva online, too). I’ve not been to Very Fresh Noodles - Italian? Asian?

1 Like

Asian. Hand-ripped noodles.

https://www.veryfreshnoodles.com/

2 Likes

Here are some pictures from August 2021 when it was practically deserted. I don’t think we ate anything but I may have bought some pantry foods.

3 Likes

The prices in there gave me the vapors.

2 Likes

do i think there’s some food there i’d buy? yes. would i put it on the agenda for a destination trip to eat in nyc? no. that’s the distinction i’m making.

1 Like

I have bought Seed & Mill halvah at the Whole Foods near Bryant Park- which is where I have picked up snacks post-theater, during a rain shower and/ or for my hotel. I tend to stay somewhere between 23rd and 42nd on the last few visits, so that Whole Foods is sometimes a good place to stop.

I have to say, all the food halls have been passes for me- Essex Market, Chelsea Market and that one in Chinatown on Canal, if I remember right. I have had a coffee and used the restroom at the one under the Plaza Hotel. I would stop by to use the rest room, but probably wouldn’t bother with a coffee!

The only food find at a food hall that was a gem worth a detour was Bolivian Llama Party’s salteñas, but they have since closed that location, and that was a dark depressing dungeon of a food hall!
:smiley:

All that said- I haven’t been to Little Spain.

1 Like

As a family outing, with just one of us living there at the time, we enjoyed eating at Chelsea market, where everyone could find something they liked (I really enjoyed a cauliflower in pita IIRC, and another cauliflower dish at Miznon ), then walking the High Line, and walking around Hudson Yard.

3 Likes

I like the interest and variety of food halls anywhere. Also enables me to graze rather than settle on a single meal.

2 Likes

Guess the same applies to some pseudo-niche places like Eataly, Dean & Deluca or even Whole Foods?!

Any recommendations for getting good selections of ’ non-ripoff pricing ’ Spanish canned seafood?! …especially smoked Razor Clams. Any good Spanish Emporium?

I think you’d enjoy Despana. You can eat there, and also shop there. It’s not cheap (none of this stuff is) but it’s excellent. (The cheapest price for conservas I’ve found is Amazon.)

3 Likes