Lima! Is a good place to visit if you like food

By the way, I love me some good cucumbers.

Like, those really fat ones.

Oh, and a little secret, ground up, they are great in meatloaf to keep the meat nice and tender. Not a cheap filler, but a good one though.

1 Like

I havenā€™t had enough of them (mostly as part of a casserole) to know whatā€™s great and whatā€™s just good. I should try to cook with them and see how that goes.

Wow, taking notes. That first uni bite you had looks amazing. And the cevichĆ© with the fried squid is also is calling me. Not so sure about Lucuma, though. Your description doesnā€™t sound good to me, and when I read the Googled descriptions of that fruitā€™s taste, it got worse. Iā€™ll pass that one! The hotel where you stayed also looks great!

The hotel is more basic than its web page makes it out to be (although it was perfectly fine for us). And I swear lucuma is very good!

Every Peruvian menu weā€™ve encountered in the US offers lomo saltado. You might have some work cut out for your return?

I donā€™t eat meat. Iā€™m well aware of its existence, though!

2 Likes

Itā€™s also popular in China, which will import food from anywhere else (although Japanese seafood is a controversial topic these days). Peru exports to Hong Kong, and more and more its neighbor to the north.

Never underestimate the power of Chinese importers ā€¦ or Southeast Asia as an intermediary for China.

Nice report! I was with a small tour group heading to Machu Picchu, so I didnā€™t get as many meals on my own in Lima as I would have liked, but the time that I walked around there I was wowā€™ed by the really nice looking restaurants they have there. I was told Lima was a great destination for food tourism, and it is no joke. The best ceviche Iā€™ve had was in Lima, in an Italian Peruvian restaurant in Miraflores. As a non-alcohol drinker, I was also so happy with all the fresh fruit juices you can find anywhere. I would love to go back and spend a little more time exploring Lima.

So on a weird side note - the one time I had lomo saltado there (while in Cusco), I had the alpaca version. I love alpacas for their derpy adorableness, but I have to say that the dish was really good. I still find the dish as a whole - stir-fry and fries?? - a little bizarre in how itā€™s paired, but I was pleasantly surprised.

2 Likes
  1. Chinese influence
  2. Lotta potatoes in Peru!
2 Likes

Yeah, individually they make sense to meā€¦just not together. :sweat_smile: Being Asian in particular, french fries with stir fry is justā€¦off. Admittedly, I think french fries in sandwiches and salads is weird too (Iā€™m looking at you, Pittsburghā€¦).

2 Likes

I am acclimated, because every storefront Chinese restaurant in NYC serves fries. Canā€™t decide between beef chow fun and a fried shrimp basket?

6wykqg

3 Likes

Really?? Haha, I guess Iā€™ve never been to those restaurants. Or is this a new evolution on their menu?

I know it was just an ad campaign for Old El Paso, but that attitude always made me smile. The kid really hit the right note, somehow. And I saw the other day that she is 23 now and still has a great attitude.

As long as Iā€™ve been here (so, at least since 1983). Hereā€™s my local placeā€™s menu:

OMG I am very old!

2 Likes

Not the fancy places - the divey places (often with a picture menu posted).

At the one by me, the most popular dish might be the fried wings served with french fries - thereā€™s a big sign declaring that they will NOT cut the wings so donā€™t ask!

1 Like

Yeah, itā€™s the type of places that will also just throw those rolls or bread into your bag. Donā€™t be fancy and ask for the bread to be bagged separately. :joy:

Hmmā€¦ no rolls / bread that Iā€™ve ever encountered. Just cheap lunch specials, a fried stuff menu alongside everything else, and a free soda or similar above a certain spend.

1 Like

Spend extra big, and you get fried rice!

1 Like

Or an egg roll!

1 Like