Light dinner at Tosca 2.0 without breaking the bank?

I miss the authenticity and the characters for sure. The original was a genuine local institution; perhaps the last real North Beach time-warp. Me and the missus made it our nightcap frolic scene for a few solid years, ending many early brights sipping that too-sweet house cappuccino (Ghiradelli spiked with brandy) and getting soused with friends and cross-eyed sailors or neighborhood ginheads and all kinds of wiggy beatnik characters. It was a way more fun, interesting and democratic scene, for sure! I still really like the new iteration of Tosca though; the bullshit society buildup from its early days seems to have died down. We were there on a Sunday evening and by 9 PM, it felt like a healthy mix of neighborhood regulars and date night locals mingling around the bar. The prices have gone up, so it sadly won’t ever be what it was. I’m still very thankful that it’s lived on, because it was uncertain at one time. The cocktails are much better (the improved classics and their own sharpened creations) and I think the food’s great too. I’d be on cloud nine at the bar with a cocktail and a side of meatballs with their housemade focaccia
 I’d just make a point of avoiding Thurs-Sat during regular dinner hours; it feels a bit more nostalgic.

I had a late night dinner at Tosca at around midnight. They open late - their kitchen is open until 1am, and they close at 2am every day. My first time here - didn’t get a chance to check the nearly 100 year old bar out before it changed owners and became the restaurant/bar it is now.

I had the spaghetti and meatballs ($19), which were on the specials list that night, garlic focaccia ($6), and a side of swiss chard ($10). The spaghetti was very good, al dente with a nicely seasoned tomato sauce that had a good amount of olive oil in it. It came with two meatballs, which were delicious, very tender and meaty. I do wish there were a little more spaghetti though. There was an excess of sauce left over, and I was glad to have the garlic focaccia to mop it up. The garlic focaccia were actually more like garlic knots. They had crispy tops and a warm soft interior, very good. The side of chard was nicely sautéed and had some olives and onions.

Also had the Tosca house “cappuccino” for dessert, which is made with armagnac, bourbon, chocolate ganache and milk ($12). If you actually want coffee in your “cappuccino” you can add espresso for an extra $4. A nice, warming, chocolatey boozy cocktail.

Spaghetti and Meatballs

Focaccia

Swiss Chard

House Cappuccino

3 Likes