Lidl (Hazlet & Eatontown, NJ)

Picked up a few bags of the scallops along with papayas and cheeses. Thanks for the heads up.

1 Like

I picked 3 bags up on Saturday and made one to go with dinner that night. I also picked up a loaf of their olive oil rosemary bread, I love it, and a few different cheeses. Their cheese prices are excellent as is the produce per my wife.

Iā€™m slowly coming around on this place. I also used the self check out which is tedious to put it nicely but once I got the hang of it wasnā€™t a problem.

1 Like

you have to accept the ā€œstore brandā€ limitation for most part and it becomes a bit easier; the self checkout is outright evil there.
Iā€™ve begun doing bulk of shopping here and been pretty happy so far- esp on price. I find a $100 day at Shoprite is about $60 or so here. Caveat- I reserve meat and cold cuts for Foodtown/Shoprite still; but pretty much everything else Iā€™ve made the jump. Cereal wasnā€™t a great selection, but I my fav is TJā€™s version of shredded wheat anyway. Coffee is a pretty good value too lately if youā€™re not into the $$$ stuff. French Vanilla was 2.69 this week and last week got the ā€œdonut shopā€ for 1.69. Their premium paper towels are really good, select a size we like and on sale are WAY cheaper than Costco/Sams. They even have lactose free milk. Lemons were 2.39 for 2 lbs.
I got a 20 off 100 coupon for going three times and spending over $150 last month; I have no idea how Iā€™m going to hit 100 in one shot- think Iā€™m going to try to load up on the cured meats they are having on special this week- parma, seranno, etc; that can prob get me up there.

5 Likes

I got one of these two and I have been thinking about it, too. I was thinking of loading up on stuff for Easter?

1 Like

I had already bought one of the deck boxes when I got the coupon so I couldnā€™t use it for that. Iā€™m loading up on some stuff for a party this weekend, still donā€™t know how Iā€™ll get there. I filled up a cpl shopping bags for a charity donation last week for literally 15 bucks; granted it was mostly non-perishables and carbs, but still I couldnā€™t believe how much I bought for that price. I hope they have some cured meats left over from last weekā€™s special to grab; that might get me there along with some cheeses and crackers for appetizers; the manchego I bought there last time was pretty good; wonder if the parmigiano would be? will load up on paper towels since I think they are on sale again.

3 Likes

Good deal on Cara Cara oranges today. $2.49 bag of eight when I stopped in. Nice assortment of flower bulbs for $2.49 a bag.

3 Likes

Coming back in to share that some of the bagged flower bulbs have only one bulb in the bag while others can have 6-12. Just pay better attention than I did!

2 Likes

Hereā€™s your weekly Lidl deals:

Iā€™m addicted to this bread, no better way to try it; BOGO!!! Get one for your neighbor, parents or just have a carb raging weekend!!!

Smoked almonds $2.49 (12oz)!!!

Grass fed sirloin $2.49 (8oz) !!! For $5.00 you can eat a steak and almond dinner!!!

(They also have a bbq grill, bikiniā€™s and an electric lawn mower on sale!!! Still donā€™t get their store selections but hey, Iā€™m a convert, I believe!!!)

2 Likes

Man I love smoked almonds. I commonly call them bacon nuts. Good price. How do they compare to the blue diamond brand?

1 Like

I havenā€™t had these specifically but their house brand in general has been very good. Iā€™m going to download the app and seriously start using it and earning more savings, itā€™s becoming part of our weekly shopping.

3 Likes

weā€™ve switched most of the shopping to Lidl, much cheaper and quality with only a cpl exception has been good to great; full disclosure we still get meat/cold cuts from shoprite/foodtown.
House brands are amazing values for the quality. The App has some good deal- you basically need to do combo of visiting 3 times in a month and spend a total of 150 (harder than it may seem) and you unlock a reward. One time it was 20 off of 100 next was 10 off of 40.

2 Likes

My NC Lidl did a massive reset after about 6 months of business. The reset greatly expanded the non-food section, increasing itā€™s size by at least 1/3. Initially I was puzzled, now I always look and often buy. I think the entire area is used as an easy add-on in sales for the company. With out the issues of perishability!

2 Likes

So I did my most extensive shopping at Lidl on Saturday $ 150. (however this included a $ 35 extendable arm / wand for my power washerā€¦still cracks me up they sell stuff like this) as Iā€™ve said this place has officially grown on me, but itā€™s difficult to make it an exclusive shopping destination.

I needed ground chicken, they had ground turkey, pork, beef but not chicken. When I inquired the response was try again tomorrow, well that doesnā€™t help me with my recipe tonight. I needed 2 red onions, not a 5lbs pound bag. Things like this itā€™s really hit or miss.

The check out line, only one cashier / non-self serve lane was open and it was 7 carts deep. Took well over 30 mins just to check out, they really need to do something about that.

1 Like

Iā€™m beginning to think itā€™s planned. Iā€™ve only seen Lidl open a new lane once - even after numerous employees have walked by and seen the situation. Iā€™ve shopped at 6 or so locations across 3 states.
Walmart is even worse with this. I truly think they feel they can cut cashier expenses since by the time youā€™ve schlepped all over the huge store you are reluctant to abandon your shopping and start over elsewhere. Iā€™ve seen 2 lanes open with 15+ people in line at Walmart. Managers walked by with barely a glance and nothingā€¦Again, many locations in many states. My Aldiā€™s moves the lines quickly and will call for assistance before the customers get antsy.

2 Likes

The difference between Walmart and Lidl to me is the quality of their self check out lanes. Walmart I can scan and use the self checkout with little to no problems, and they are generally not as backed up. Lidl Iā€™ve attempted to use their self check out 2xā€™s on very small orders and I became VERY irritated by how difficult it is to use.

1 Like

when on Sat did you go? Iā€™ve had pretty decent experience for most part with lines. One time it was a bit much so I tired self checkout (never again). Havenā€™t made one to meats there yet, so canā€™t compare, but you def have to accept the limited choice thing going there. I also noticed the get it till itā€™s gone atmosphere there. I argue with wife we need to either go on Wed/Thur or def by Sat. By Sun all of the organic fruit is gone and so is half and half a good deal of the time.
Have to put together my deck box and use the hedge trimmer once it stops raining and I will report back on quality of stuff I nought. (passed on the underwear somehow).
I commend you on spending 150- I assume the beautiful feast you made in the other thread was supplied via Lidl? B/c I only got to 100 once and I had to buy 8 packs of paper towels on sale to get me over the top (had 20 off of 100 to hit). Assuming you go three times this month now that you got the app youā€™ll get the reward. I need one more visit to get it myself for May(but have had 20 off of 100 and 10 off of 40 so far).
We usually supplement with either Shoprite or Foodtown for meat and cold cuts plus cpl items like hienz ketchup you canā€™t get there (they did have both Hellmans and Dukeā€™s mayo this time around so they are getting more and more stuff that I can see and itā€™s always cheaper).
Although both SR & FT piss me off when I do go lately; esp the cold cut counters. As someone who worked the slicer for several years in HS & college, it really bugs me how crappy all the choices are around here. Iā€™d take up the deitz and Watson deals you mention at BJā€™s JR, but I canā€™t see making a third stop each week so Iā€™m stuck at these places for that unfortunately.

Too funny, I was already starting to type my reply about Bjā€™s before I read your final line!! Hooray someone actually listens to me!!! lol We arenā€™t big cold cuts eaters in our house, not since my kids took lunch to school so itā€™s not as much of a priority for us, but yeah Bjā€™s is the best price for Dietz and Watson hands down. (I forget what it was for but I recently purchased cold cuts from Walmart - house brand - and was pleasantly surprised)

Yeah Iā€™m looking forward for my ā€œrewardsā€ since I downloaded the app, some of their prices are fantastic but as you are mentioning re-stocking is an issue. I was there Saturday probably between 5-6pm. I had to stop at Shop Rite in Shrewsbury on the way home to complete our shopping. (yes a good portion of the feast was Lidl)

I do Shoprite once a week, Costco about twice a month, and Aldi maybe twice a month. (Admittedly there are just two of us, and we eat out a lot.) Aldi is mostly dependent on when weā€™re passing either the Old Bridge or the Hazlet one.

I was curious about Lidl, but after reading about some of their employment practices Iā€™ve had no desire to shop there.

Went a couple of times, not impressed. Will go back for one thingā€¦Dukeā€™s mayo, the best IMO. And strange things in between food.

Add images here

3 Likes

Iā€™ve got to be honestly with you, I wasnā€™t impressed at all upon my first visit and yes I found some of the items rather ā€œoddā€ as well. After a couple more visits though, their bakery and produce are pretty dam good, their prices are excellent and the place has grown on me. Pretty sure that bra is my size!

3 Likes